Marijuana: 4 Things That Can Happen During an ‘Overdose’

marijuana overdose

Jim Halpert and Dwight Schrute from The Office debate whether Dwight has memory loss from marijuana use | Source: NBC

Maybe the bud was a new strain you haven’t tried before. Or you didn’t feel high after eating part of an edible, so you take a few more bites. Either way, inhaling or ingesting too much marijuana is a possibility for people who are new to smoking weed or who are misinformed about how much is enough to produce the desired effects. When it comes to “overdosing” on marijuana, you’re just one bad brownie away from turning a relaxed, munchie-filled evening into a night of nasty side effects.

It’s important to point out that as of now, medical experts and the Drug Enforcement Agency agree that marijuana has never caused a fatal, toxic overdose. There have been a few reports of excessive marijuana use leading to other fatal decisions, as was the case in March 2014 when a 19-year-old college student jumped off of a balcony after ingesting five times the recommended amount of marijuana. However, marijuana’s effect on the body itself has not been found to have fatal results. The worst that can happen is a bad high you won’t want to repeat.

Marijuana overdose and edibles

As medical cannabis becomes more popular for treating a series of chronic ailments, and as recreational weed continues to be approved in additional states, new businesses are opening to cater to the new market of legalized pot users. Edibles are a growing part of the marijuana economy, but it becomes easier to have too much cannabis in your system with the weed-filled snacks, especially when it comes to inexperienced users.

The main reason for this is because ingesting marijuana often leads to a bigger high, but it takes longer to feel the effects. As Philly.com reports, most people start to feel a high from smoking marijuana in 10 minutes, with the peak high happening 30 to 90 minutes after starting the joint. Ingesting cannabis through edibles takes 30 to 90 minutes to start feeling the effects, with the peak high normally about three hours after taking the first bites. Just a few small bites of a cookie or brownie is often the recommended dose, and novice users who are expecting a faster high might be tempted to take additional bites to speed up the process — leading to an overdose.

While overdosing on marijuana rarely leads to critical situations, it can be extremely unpleasant. Here are a few side effects that can happen as a result of a marijuana overdose.

More Articles About:   ,