Some days, you simply don’t have time to wait for your stew to slowly cook in your crockpot or simmer on your stovetop. If you are short on time but still need a hearty dish to warm you up on cold winter nights, prepare a speedy stew recipe, which can be on your table in 45 minutes or less. From Speedy Chicken Stew to Spicy Lentil Stew With Peppers and Onions, these 7 recipes will ensure you have fast and delicious dinner dishes. After preparing one of these speedy suppers, stew will quickly become one of your favorite winter weeknight meals!
1. Speedy Chicken Stew
In less than 45 minutes, you can have Southern Living’s Speedy Chicken Stew on your supper table. To prepare this dish, bring your broth, vegetables, and seasonings to a boil, let them simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stir in the chicken, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste, and let simmer for another 10 minutes. The recipe yields 6 servings.
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (20-ounce) package frozen creamed corn
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can seasoned diced tomatoes with garlic, basil, and oregano
- 1 (6- ounce) can tomato paste
Directions: Combine first 9 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes and lima beans are tender. Stir in chicken, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste; simmer 10 more minutes.