Hams shouldn’t be saved for Christmas and Easter. This tasty meat should be eaten year-round, especially during the summer when paired with fruit, salsas, and glazes. Whether you’re in the mood for pineapple, peaches, plums, or oranges, these seven recipes have got you covered. Once you try one of these flavorful dinners, you’ll never want to go back to a plain ham again.
1. Grilled Ham Steak with Summer Salsa
Prepare for bite after bite of delicious grilled ham that’s topped with a flavorful salsa made from peaches, plums, and jicama. When preparing this Cook’s recipe, feel free to use chopped water chestnuts instead of jicama. It tastes just as good!
- 1 thick-cut ham steak (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium peaches, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium plums, finely chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup finely chopped peeled jicama
- 2 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions: To make summer salsa, combine peaches, plums, jicama, lime juice, onions, cilantro, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Let stand at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spray cold grate of outdoor grill with grilling spray. Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill ham steak according to package directions. Serve ham steak with the summer salsa.