Nothing quite captures the essence of down-home cooking like a cast-iron skillet. Not only does it offer the taste and aesthetic of traditional home cooking, but it also reduces the hassle of kitchen clean-up by eliminating the need for multiple pots and pans. On top of that, cooking on a cast-iron skillet crisps foods to perfection. Whether you’re serving chicken, steak, tofu, or a pasta dish, the results of your efforts will be irresistible!
Try any of these cast-iron skillet recipes for a delicious down-home dinner.
1. Gnocchi Skillet with Chicken Sausage and Tomatoes
Gnocchi are delicious at any time of year, but this dish hits its peak when prepared with freshly ripened tomatoes and basil. This dish takes just a few simple ingredients and can be thrown together by a cook of any level in just 15 minutes or so. A cast-iron skillet is the ideal method of preparation for this dish, as it lends the best color and sear to the tomatoes and sausage. This recipe from The Kitchn yields 4 servings.
- 1 pound gnocchi
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 ounces (about 3 links) cooked chicken sausage, sliced into ¼-inch-thick coins
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 to 2 ounces fresh basil, julienned (½ to 1 cup loosely packed)
Head to The Kitchn for the full recipe.