Following is some information on companies that have exceeded their earnings expectations in Q3 2011.
- Applied Micro Circuits Corporat (NASDAQ:AMCC): The company reported earnings per share of $0.02 against expectations of ($0.01) for a surprise of 300.00%. About the company: Applied Micro Circuits Corporation designs, develops, manufactures, and markets high-performance, high-bandwidth silicon solutions for the world’s communications infrastructure. The Company provides products for the automated test equipment, high-speed computing, and military markets.
- Aqua America, Inc. (NYSE:WTR): The company reported earnings per share of $0.33 against expectations of $0.32 for a surprise of 3.13%. About the company: Aqua America Inc. is a water utility company. The Company supplies water to residential, commercial, industrial, and public customers. Aqua America serves residents through its water and wastewater operations in the Northeastern Southeastern, and Midwestern United States.
- Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE:ADM): The company reported earnings per share of $0.69 against expectations of $0.67 for a surprise of 2.99%. About the company: Archer-Daniels-Midland Company procures, transports, stores, processes, and merchandises agricultural commodities and products. The Company processes oilseeds, corn, milo, oats, barley, peanuts, and wheat. Archer-Daniels-Midland also processes produce products which have primarily two end uses including food or feed ingredients.
- Asset Acceptance Capital Corp. (NASDAQ:AACC): The company reported earnings per share of $0.10 against expectations of $0.07 for a surprise of 42.86%. About the company: Asset Acceptance Capital Corp. purchases charged-off consumer receivables in the United States. The Company purchases and collects defaulted or charged-off accounts receivable portfolios from consumer credit originators, primarily credit card issuers, consumer finance companies, retail merchants, telecommunications and utility providers, and other holders of consumer debt.
- Atmel Corporation (NASDAQ:ATML): The company reported earnings per share of $0.25 against expectations of $0.20 for a surprise of 25.00%. About the company: Atmel Corporation designs, develops, manufactures, and markets various non-volatile memory and logic integrated circuits using its proprietary technology. The Company’s devices are used in products for telecommunications, computers, networking, image processing, industrial and military applications, and avionics.
- AtriCure, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATRC): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.07) against expectations of ($0.08) for a surprise of 12.50%. About the company: AtriCure, Inc. develops, manufactures, and sells surgical devices designed to create precise lesions in soft tissues. The Company’s bipolar ablation system is used by cardiothoracic surgeons as a standard treatment alternative to create lesions in heart tissue to block the abnormal electrical impulses that cause atrial fibrillation.
- Big 5 Sporting Goods (NASDAQ:BGFV): The company reported earnings per share of $0.27 against expectations of $0.17 for a surprise of 58.82%. About the company: Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation owns and operates sporting goods stores in the Western United States. The Company’s products include athletic shoes, apparel, tennis, golf, ski, snowboard, in-line skating, fitness, outdoor and team sports equipment for the competitive and recreational sporting goods customer.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:BIO): The company reported earnings per share of $1.61 against expectations of $1.53 for a surprise of 5.23%. About the company: Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc. is a multinational manufacturer and distributor of life science research products, clinical diagnostics, and analytical instrumentation. The Company’s products and systems separate complex chemical and biological materials, as well as identify, analyze, and purify their components.
- Black Box Corporation (NASDAQ:BBOX): The company reported earnings per share of $0.93 against expectations of $0.83 for a surprise of 12.05%. About the company: Black Box Corporation provides technical network services and related products to businesses. The Company offers standard networking products through its catalog and its Web site. Black Box designs and builds custom products and operates subsidiaries throughout the world.
- Boston Beer Company, Inc. (NYSE:SAM): The company reported earnings per share of $1.19 against expectations of $1.10 for a surprise of 8.18%. About the company: The Boston Beer Company, Inc. produces a variety of craft-brewed beers and cider products at various contract breweries and Company-owned breweries. The Company sells its products under brand names such as Boston Beer Company, Oregon Beer and Brewing Company, Samuel Adams, and HardCore. Boston Beer sells its products to a network of wholesale distributors.
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls