Following is information on the stocks with the heaviest trading volume towards the end of today’s trading session:
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:SPY): Trading volume is 69.96 million shares and its market capitalization is $92.33 billion. About the company: SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust is a unit investment trust incorporated in the United States. The Trust consists of a portfolio representing all 500 stocks in the S&P 500 Index.
- Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC): Trading volume is 60.35 million shares and its market capitalization is $110.60 billion. About the company: Bank of America Corporation accepts deposits and offers banking, investing, asset management, and other financial and risk-management products and services. The Company has a mortgage lending subsidiary, and an investment banking and securities brokerage subsidiary. Competitors to Watch: Citigroup (NYSE:C), Deutsche Bank (NYSE:DB), JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM), HSBC (NYSE:HBC), Metlife (NYSE:MET), PNC (NYSE:PNC), U.S. Bancorp (NYSE:USB), Financials (NYSE:XLF) and Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC).
- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE): Trading volume is 37.66 million shares and its market capitalization is $160.63 billion. About the company: Pfizer Inc. is a research-based, global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets medicines for humans and animals. The Company’s products include prescription pharmaceuticals, non-prescription self-medications, and animal health products such as anti-infective medicines and vaccines. Investing in Healthcare: Animal Care a Hot Topic>>
- iShares MSCI Japan Index (NYSE:EWJ): Trading volume is 37.00 million shares and its market capitalization is $7.66 billion. About the company: The iShares MSCI Japan Index Fund seeks to provide investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of publicly traded securities in the Japanese market, as measured by the MSCI Japan Index.
- Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F): Trading volume is 33.94 million shares and its market capitalization is $53.59 billion. About the company: Ford Motor Company designs, manufactures, and services cars and trucks. The Company also provides vehicle-related financing, leasing, and insurance through its subsidiary.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S): Trading volume is 31.38 million shares and its market capitalization is $17.02 billion. About the company: Sprint Nextel Corporation offers a range of wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, and government customers. The Company develops, engineers, and deploys various technologies, including two wireless networks offering mobile data services, instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities, and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone.
- iShares Russell 2000 Index (NYSE:IWM): Trading volume is 30.18 million shares and its market capitalization is $17.86 billion. About the company: iShares Russell 2000 Index Fund is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund seeks investment results that correspond to the performance of the Russell 2000 Index Fund. The Index measures the performance of the small-capitalization sector of the U.S. equity market. The Fund uses a Representative Sampling strategy to try to track the Index.
- Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT): Trading volume is 25.12 million shares and its market capitalization is $224.99 billion. About the company: Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses, sells, and supports software products. The Company offers operating system software, server application software, business and consumer applications software, software development tools, and Internet and intranet software. Microsoft also develops video game consoles and digital music entertainment devices.
- Sirius XM Radio Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI): Trading volume is 24.06 million shares and its market capitalization is $8.68 billion. About the company: Sirius XM Radio Inc. broadcasts various channels of audio from its satellites. The Company provides its services throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee. Sirius delivers various streams of commercial-free music in every genre, as well as streams of news, sports, weather, talk, comedy, and public radio. Competitors to Watch: Westwood One, Inc. (NASDAQ:WWON), Entercom Communications Corp. (NYSE:ETM), Cumulus Media Inc. (NASDAQ:CMLS), Emmis Communications Corp. (NASDAQ:EMMS), Radio One, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROIAK), CBS Corporation (NYSE:CBS), Disney (NYSE:DIS), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Grupo Radio Centro SAB de CV (NYSE:RC), Salem Communications Corp (NASDAQ:SALM), Saga Communications, Inc. (AMEX:SGA).
- Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC): Trading volume is 22.99 million shares and its market capitalization is $123.38 billion. About hte company: Intel Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells computer components and related products. The Company’s major products include microprocessors, chipsets, embedded processors and microcontrollers, flash memory products, graphics products, network and communications products, systems management software, conferencing products, and digital imaging products.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>