Let’s face it, cooking can be a pain if you’re tired from a long day, too hungry to put in the effort, or simply don’t feel like it. And the worst part? Often times when you can’t seem to muster up the energy to cook, you’re left with options that aren’t always the healthiest, like frozen meals or take-out. Next time you’re looking for a quick and easy option that isn’t filled with calories, try these 5 recipes that take only 5 minutes to prepare.
1. The Easiest Chicken and Vegetable Curry
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, with this recipe from Simply Real Health, you actually can achieve quality taste and nutrition at the same time, and all in just 5 minutes. It can be served hot on its own, or over rice or cooked quinoa.
- 1 organic chicken breast, sliced or chicken tender pieces (or other high-quality meat or seafood)
- 2 teaspoons (or more) red curry paste
- 2.5 ounces or 3 tablespoons regular coconut milk
- 1 cup (or more) veggies of your choice (carrots, broccoli, snow peas, red peppers, spinach)
- Sea salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions: Cook chicken first over medium high heat, flipping sides when the first is completely browned. Add in veggies and cook another 2 to 3 minutes
Add in curry paste, then coconut milk. Stir all ingredients to combine. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and add a dash of cayenne pepper if desired.
2. Overnight Oatmeal
Mornings can be the busiest time of the day. For a pain-free grab-n-go breakfast option that’s ready before you are, try this overnight oatmeal recipe from Chef Julie Moreno at Jewel’s Bakery and Café in Phoenix. You’ll be happy you took a couple minutes to prepare it the night before.
- 1/3 cup milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup fresh berries, or any fruit of your choice
Directions: Combine milk, oats, Greek yogurt, chia seeds, sweetener, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir until combined. Fold in fruit. Refrigerate oatmeal, 8 hours to overnight
3. Fresh Pea Mint Soup
Mmm, soup. It’s always delicious and typically pretty easy. Next time you’re in the mood for a delicious helping of soup, try this recipe from Rene De Vua, Private Health Chef, vegan/raw enthusiast and author.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 fresh mint leaves or ½ teaspoon dried mint leaves
- Pink Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
Directions: Heat up olive oil in a small saucepan. Add your onion and saute for about 2 minutes, then add your peas and cook for another 2 minutes, while stirring. Place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender together with the mint leaves, water and coconut milk. Blend until very smooth and enjoy. Decorate with fresh mint leaves.
4. Strawberry and Parmesan Arugula Salad
Salads can be a no-brainer when it comes to quick and healthy options, but knowing how to make one that actually tastes good can be half the battle. With this recipe from food blogger Tracy Memoli, you too can master a great tasting salad that’s quick, easy and delicious.
- 2 cups sliced dried strawberries
- 2 cups orange flavored dried cranberries
- 2 cups shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 bag of arugula
Directions: Toss all of the ingredients together and drizzle with olive oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
5. Whole-wheat flatbread pizza
Pizza will never go out of style, but ordering from a pizza joint is usually full of calories, and making pizza during family dinner night can be time-consuming. Perfect for those times you want a quick and easy option, try out this recipe from Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN and owner of Nutrition Starring You.
- Whole-wheat flatbread
- Marinara sauce
- Reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut up veggies of your choice (spinach leaves, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives, etc.
Directions: Place the flatbread on a piece of tin foil. Spread marinara sauce evenly. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and then add whatever veggies you’ve got. Then, pop it into the toaster oven, and bake until the cheese bubbles. Serve and enjoy.