Man Posts Selfies Following Grizzly Bear Attack to Show His Shocking Injuries


Todd Orr, a Bozeman, MT resident showed just how tough he is by posting pics of his injuries after being attacked by a grizzly bear while hiking. His injuries were sustained on a familiar hiking trail on which he made a habit of yelling loudly to warn bears of his presence and scare them off. Despite this preventative measure, a mother bear found him to be a threat and charged at him from 80 feet away, a gap that only took seconds to cover.

Orr was armed with bear spray, used to deter provoked bears, and sprayed it in the face of the oncoming beast, but it did little to stop the attacking animal.

Says Todd in a Facebook post:

“I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again. Over and over. After a couple minutes, but what seemed an eternity, she disappeared.”

Remarkably, that was just the first of TWO violent encounters with this bear.

But not before he made (and posted!) a video for Facebook that documented his first attack and the subsequent one.

Check it out on the next page.

He opens the video by cracking, “Life sucks in bear country.”

It’s nice to see that he can maintain a sense of humor after the violent ordeal. Not only that, but he had his work cut out for him in seeking medical treatment. Broken and battered, he jogged and hiked three miles back to his car, but not before that same bear found him again and attacked.

In Orr’s own words via Facebook:

“One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back,” he wrote. “I knew I couldn’t move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless. Another couple bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me.”

He was carrying a holstered pistol for just this reason, but it was knocked off during the attack. He remained lifeless and the bear stomped on him, crushing his abdomen and head, then ran off.

He continued on to his truck and managed to drive a mind-blowing 17 miles to the nearest medical center.

See pictures from his recovery on the next page.

He finally made it to the medical center after a long drive and some very daring social media activity.

He writes:

“I was met at the front door by the doctor, nurse and an officer. I had to ask the officer to open the door, put my truck in park, and unbuckle my seat belt. My left arm was useless. He was impressed I had taken the effort to buckle.”

Here are two pics of Todd’s injuries taken while undergoing medical treatment.



As you can see, the gash on his head was very deep and ran almost from his temple to his neck.

He concluded his post with some gratitude for being lucky enough to survive the ordeal:

“It will leave a nasty scar, but I’m hoping my balding doesn’t come on too quickly and leave that one exposed. Not my best day, but I’m alive. So thankful I’m here to share with all of you.”