Manly Libation of the Week: 3 Healthier Cocktails for the New Year
Sipping a well-made cocktail is the perfect way to unwind and relax, whether you’ve had a long day at the office or just want to kick back with some friends. Follow our Manly Libation series week-to-week — we guarantee these classic drinks will put some hair on your chest.
Hello, 2016. With the new year come plenty of New Year’s resolutions. And to help you stick to that whole being healthier thing, we thought we’d kick off 2016 with you by sipping on some healthier-for-you cocktails. We tapped Zevia, the leading natural diet soda in the U.S., which has no artificial sweeteners and recently became non-GMO verified, for some festive cocktails that also manage to be low in calories.
1. Poinsettia (113 calories per serving)
- 1 ounce Zevia Lemon Lime Twist
- 1 ounce vodka
- 2 ounces cranberry juice with ice
- 1 ounce of sparking wine or champagne
Directions: Shake vodka and cranberry juice with ice, strain into chilled martini glasses, and add Zevia Lemon Lime Twist. Top with sparking wine or champagne, and garnish with raspberries.
2. Holiday Crush (149 calories per serving)Ingredients:
- 2 ounces Zevia Grapefruit Citrus
- 1½ ounces vodka
- ½ ounce St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
- 3 bar spoons of pomegranate seeds
- Grapefruit chunks
Directions: Muddle pomegranate seeds and grapefruit with the elderflower liqueur, add vodka and Zevia Grapefruit Citrus, top with crushed ice, and churn.
3. Rudolph’s Spritzer (150 calories per serving)Ingredients:
- 12 ounces chilled Zevia Lemon Lime Twist
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1½ cups vodka
- 4 ounces grenadine
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- Lemon slices and fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a pitcher filled with ice and stir (makes 8 servings).
Follow Perri on Twitter @66PerriStreet