Manly Libation of the Week: 5 Ethereal Thanksgiving Cocktails
This week, in honor of Thanksgiving, we decided to mix things up a bit and spotlight cocktails that use Turkey day pantry items and leftovers you’ll likely have on hand. With celebratory autumn flavors like apple pie and pumpkin, these cocktails are as autumnal as they are awesome. Cheers and happy Thanksgiving!
1. Apple Pie Bam-boozled Shake at Holsteins Shakes and Buns in Las Vegas and Costa Mesa, Calif.
Consider this grown-up apple pie. Made with spiced apple compote, Piehole Apple Pie Whiskey, and almond streusel, America’s classic pie gets a fun and boozy twist for the holiday season.
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce Piehole Apple Pie Whiskey
- 4 tablespoon Apple Compote (recipe below)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. It is helpful to let the ice cream melt slightly before blending. Fill the glass with the blended shake. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of almond streusel.
- Whipped cream, as needed
- 1 tablespoon almond streusel (recipe below)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled/cored/diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- ⅛ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider
Put everything but the apples in a pot and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add apples and simmer until they are tender and the liquid has reduced. Remove from pot and cool. Store in refrigerator.
- 3 ounces butter, room temperature
- 3 ounces Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
- Pinch salt
- 3 ounces almond flour
- 3 ounces AP flour
Cream the butter and sugar just until smooth. Add flour, salt, and almond flour and mix to form a crumbly dough. Wrap and chill one hour. To bake, crumble onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet, bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Pears on Fleek at CATCH in New York City
On fleek is right. This fruity sipper also tastes fantastic with a hit of hard apple cider.
- 1.5 ounces of Belvedere
- .5 ounce of St. George Pear Brandy
- 1 ounce of poached pear syrup
- .75 ounce of lemon juice
- 1 ounce of pear puree
- Topped with hard pear cider
Combine all and serve on ice in mason jar.
3. Pumpkin King at the XV Beacon in Boston
Pumpkin never looked so chic and tasted so swoonworthy.
- 2 ounces Stoli vanilla
- 1 ounce pumpkin puree
- 1 dash heavy cream
- 2 dashes simple syrup
Shake all ingredients thoroughly with large ice cubes and double strain into a well-chilled stemmed cocktail glass, top liberally with whipped cream and grated nutmeg.
4. S’mores Martini at NoMa Social in Westchester, N.Y.
Capture that magical campfire treat and cozy winter fireside fav in the sophistication of an adult beverage.
- 3 ounces of Three Olives Smores Vodka
- 2 ounces Godiva Chocolate liqueur
- 1 ounce Bailey
Combine all ingredients and garnish with graham crackers crumbled and marshmallows served in a chocolate drizzled glass.
5. Brady’s Milk Punch at The Dead Rabbit in New York City
Like comfort food in a cup, we won’t tell if you want to slip a little cocoa powder into this stellar nightcap.
- 1½ ounces Brady’s Irish Cream
- ¾ ounce Clontarf Irish Whiskey
- ½ ounce Oloroso Sherry
- ¼ ounce Giffard vanilla
- ½ ounce half and half
Shake over ice. Strain into punch glass and grate a dust of cinnamon over top. Serve.