14. North Dakota: $6.61 per hour difference
- Total welfare benefits package: $30,681
- Pre-tax wage equivalent: $28,830
- Hourly wage equivalent: $13.86
- State hourly minimum wage for 2017: $7.25
North Dakota has seen success as a state with one of the highest gross domestic products per capita and a low unemployment rate of 2.5%, as of May 2017. Even those on welfare seem to benefit financially from the state’s success, as the hourly welfare payout equivalent is $6.61 per hour higher than the statewide minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
Next: A Western state where welfare recipients are paid over $7 more than minimum wage