The Most Disgusting Things Found in Food
You may never look at food the same way after learning what disgusting things have appeared in meals. Animals hitch rides on produce (page 5), hardware store merchandise find its way into dishes (page 16), and more. Discover the most disgusting things found in food, ahead.
Mouse in bread
For those who have been meaning to cut back on carbs, this may do the trick. While making sandwiches for his children, Stephen Force, saw what he thought to be dough that wasn’t mixed properly. Upon closer inspection, he realized the dough was actually a mouse. And it was missing a tail. “Had it fallen off prior to the bread being wrapped or had any of my family eaten it with another slice of bread on a previous day?” he told the BBC.
Hint: The tooth fairy took on an entirely new meaning for this woman.
Tooth in a candy bar
While on a road trip with her husband, Sue Calhoun, found a stranger’s tooth in a Milky Way. “Every time I think about it, I kind of get sick to my stomach because I don’t know what kind of mouth it came out of,” Calhoun told KLTV.
Hint: Your sweet tooth may disappear for good after reading about this.
Maggots in chocolate
Customer Rachel Vile shared pictures on her Facebook page of a maggot-infested box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Half the chocolates were gone before Vile discovered the maggots, according to the Daily News. Ferrero Rocher responded by saying their chocolates must be stored properly, whatever that means, according to The Sun.
Hint: You’ll never look at an aluminum can the same way again.
Frog or toad in Pepsi can
While grilling in his backyard tiki bar, Fred DeNegri of Ormond Beach, Florida, began drinking a can of Diet Pepsi, according to CNN. Moments later he started gagging and dumped the contents of the can in the sink. What came out looked like “pink linguini” and “dark stuff,” Amy DeNegri, told CNN. The couple then called the Federal Drug Administration and poison control. The FDA concluded the mysterious object to be a frog or toad.
Hint: Why you should always examine produce at the grocery store
Black widow spider in grapes
This story will make you think twice before tossing produce in your grocery cart. A family in New Hampshire discovered a black widow spider in a package of organic grapes, according to CBS Boston. “As I kept washing the grapes, they seemed to have little marks on them, which made me a little more suspicious,” Jennifer Rydeen said. “So I picked up the container and looked inside and saw the large spider in there — and screamed.”
Hint: You won’t believe what one woman found in her ice cream.
Razor blade in ice cream
A Texas woman bit into a razor blade while eating Great Value ice cream purchased at Walmart, according to CBS News. Great Value is a brand exclusive to Walmart. When this happened in 2011, the woman wanted Walmart to investigate safety practices. “I don’t think ‘I’m sorry, I hope your day gets better’ is an appropriate response to ‘I found a razor blade in my ice cream,’” the woman told CBS News.
Hint: This man’s find takes condiments to a new level.
Condom in Big Mac
An Alabama man found a condom in a Big Mac he ordered at a McDonald’s drive-thru, according to the Daily News. The man sued McDonald’s but a judge dismissed the lawsuit, according to The Morning Call. What’s more disturbing is that condoms have repeatedly been found in food at McDonald’s. A condom showed up in an order of french fries, according to Eat This, Not That!
Hint: How one man’s sandwich could’ve killed him.
Knife in a Subway sandwich
In 2008, John Agnesini took a bite of his Subway sandwich and discovered a serrated knife between his teeth, according to Eat This, Not That! Somehow, no one noticed that a knife ended up in the bread dough. Thankfully, Agnesini bit the melted handle of the knife and not the blade. He settled with Subway for $20,000.
Hint: This animal got a free ride across the world.
Live scorpion in a bunch of bananas
While stocking shelves, a sales assistant at a supermarket in England noticed something moving among the produce. Turns out, it was a scorpion, “thought to have hitched a ride from Costa Rica,” according to The Telegraph. This type of scorpion “is not considered a major threat to humans but experts say a sting can still be extremely painful,” according to The Sun. The scorpion now resides at the Newquay Zoo in Cornwall, England.
Hint: An employee had a big hand in making frozen custard.
Severed finger in frozen custard
While eating from a pint of frozen custard, a North Carolina man discovered a severed finger, according to The Seattle Times. At first, the man thought the finger to be candy. Upon realizing what it was, he “just started screaming.” An employee at custard shop lost a finger on the job and it landed in a bucket of custard. The employee sought medical attention but another employee had already scooped custard from the bucket containing the finger.
Hint: Babies were injured because of this brand.
Glass in baby food
In 1986, consumers found glass in jars of Gerber baby food, according to The New York Times. This occurred in 30 states across the United States with retailers in Maryland banning the sale of the brand until the brand fixed the problem.
Hint: This isn’t the way to get more iron in your diet.
Nails in mac ‘n cheese
While eating a quick pre-packaged dinner of mac ‘n cheese, Rebecca Shorten found two nails inside the dish, according to the Daily Mail. “I was absolutely horrified when I found the nails,” she said. A third nail she accidentally ingested, which she discovered after getting an X-ray at the hospital.
Hint: You may never eat at a Costco food court again.
Bullet in hot dog
A woman took a bite of a Costco hot dog and noticed something hard, according to Fox News. What she thought to be part of her braces was a live 9-millimeter round. The woman went to the hospital with abdominal pains and X-rays revealed another bullet in her system.
Hint: Been meaning to cut back on red meat? Read this to be put off red meat forever.
Tampon in a steak
While eating at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City, a German tourist named Axel Sanz-Claus, ordered a steak and got much more than he bargained for. In his steak was a used tampon, according to ABC WABC-TV. “I had it in my mouth, chewed it and nearly swallowed it,” Sanz-Claus said. “This is so disgusting, I’ve felt sick ever since.”
Hint: Blood acted as a condiment for this food.
Blood on sandwich
Susan Mosher got an unusual condiment for her BLT sandwich and french fries at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Texas. Instead of ketchup for her fries, she got human blood. The chef who prepared Mosher’s meal cut himself while preparing the sandwich, according to the HuffPost.
Hint: Boy hospitalized after eating a doughnut
Metal in doughnut
After getting a doughnut from Walmart as a treat from his dad, 6-year-old Logan Ratai said “the doughnut tasted crunchy,” according to WIBW. Then he chipped a tooth. The boy’s parents took him to the hospital but not before further examining the doughnut. “There were pieces of black metal, some of them looked like rings, like washers off of a little screw, some of them were black metal fragments, like real sharp pieces,” Kelly Ratai, Logan’s mother, said.
Check out The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!