7 Times Jennifer Lawrence Made Us Laugh
Jennifer Lawrence is no stranger to anyone these days — among other things, the actress is known for her performances in Winter’s Bone and The Hunger Games, as well as her Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook. In addition to her remarkable performances, the actress is also known for her affable personality, wit, and grounded charm — the latter certainly a large factor for her legions of fans. Read on as we break down some of the funniest things JLaw has said and done.
1. Leave the twerking to Miley. When asked about her skills on the dancefloor, Lawrence downplayed her moves — to put it mildly.
“I’m a horrible dancer! I’m like a dad at prom. I look like Gumby getting electrocuted.”
2. It sounds like a riddle, but it’s not. When a reporter asked Lawrence what she had in common with her Hunger Games character, Katniss Everdeen, you could practically hear the world guffaw. Her response?
“We look alike.”
3. After her win for Best Actress in Silver Linings Playbook, Lawrence was doing a post-Oscars interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos when Jack Nicholson stopped by to pay her a compliment. Nicholson praised Lawrence and then began moving on, but not before saying, “You look like an old girlfriend of mine.” Lawrence responded with:
“Oh really? Do I look like a new girlfriend?”
4. Like many, JLaw’s got a few celebrity crushes of her own, and is never one to not freak out when meeting them. Take her encounter with John Stamos, aka Uncle Jesse, for example: Both Lawrence and Stamos were at a party, and, well, the rest is history.
“I turned into a perverted guy. I was, like, following him in a room staring at his ass. I lost my mind,” Lawrence said. “I didn’t want to meet him, because it’s not good when I meet people who I really idolize. I was avoiding him, and then my friends brought him over because my friends are jerks, and I just started freaking out and he asked me if I was on mushrooms. I was like, ‘No. I’m dead sober. This is just … me.’”
5. When being interview on the red carpet for the premiere of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Lawrence continued to prove she doesn’t take most things — or questions — too seriously. After the reporter asked her how the set was, the funny girl responded with her usual dry humor.
“Everyone’s mean. The usual. Liam Hemsworth was the most mean. Shit — is he behind me? His brother is Thor.”
6. Though she didn’t eventually receive any awards for her 2011 role in Winter’s Bone, Lawrence still had to make the awards circuit rounds for her nominations — SAG, Golden Globes, and Oscars, to name a few. After Entertainment Tonight’s Nancy O’Dell complimented Lawrence on her fit figure, Lawrence reiterated her feelings about skinny women in Hollywood.
“That feels great ’cause I just ate a Philly cheesesteak and I was kind of worried about it,” Lawrence said. “I think that people are built the way that they’re built. There’s that Kate Moss quote that’s like ‘Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels’ and I can name a lot of things that taste better than skinny feels: bread, potatoes … a Philly cheesesteak and fries.”
7. With her honest, unfiltered personality, humorous take on life, and witty quips, it’s no surprise that Lawrence was a creative child.
“I was just like a pathological liar when I was a kid. I think I just wanted to one-up somebody. Somebody would be like, ‘Oh, God, my legs hurt.’ I’d be like, ‘Your legs hurt? I’m getting mine amputated next week.’ And that’s actually how my mother found out. She came to school and somebody was like, ‘God, that’s such a shame about Jennifer’s legs.’ She made me purge. I had to spill out all of my lies. I was like, ‘I said that Dad drove a barge, and we were millionaires, and you were pregnant, I had to get my legs amputated, and I spayed cats and dogs on the weekends.’ Now I can’t lie. Now I get anxiety over it.”