A ‘Convicted’ Torturer Got Within Feet of Prince George in a Massive Security Breach

Just in case royal life wasn’t already stressful enough, here’s something else to add to the pile. On July 14, a “convicted” torturer came within feet of Prince George at Kensington Palace in what appears to be a huge security breach. The Sun revealed and detailed the drama in a July 29 report, and it’s as wild as it sounds.

Prince George
Prince George | Photo by Richard Pohle/AFP/Getty Images

Inside the security breach

According to the report, a 40-year-old man received access to the palace as a driver for an independent furniture company. He encountered Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis in the courtyard. Later, he reportedly bragged to some friends about how “pleasant” Prince George was.

The Sun reports that the man served a seven-year prison sentence beginning in 2008 for his role in a “torture plot where an innocent man had boiling water poured down his back.”

“His friends were shocked that he was able to get into the Palace and within touching distance of royalty given his past,” a source told the publication. The insider also called the moment a “potentially deadly security oversight.”

An investigation is underway

Royal officials launched an investigation into the matter after The Sun alerted them to the oversight.

As for how the Cambridges feel? A senior royal source said that Prince William and Kate Middleton are “concerned” that the man got so close to their children without any extra protection.

“The Duke has been informed and is obviously taking a close interest into what happened,” the source said. “He strongly believes criminals deserve a second chance once they have served their time, but is concerned current security policies might not be strong enough. It’s very important we know who is coming into the Palace.”

A palace aide added, “As soon as it was brought to our attention an urgent security review was launched to check the current systems and procedures are appropriate. Pending the outcome, there will be a refined level of risk assessment for those entering.”

This is the second royal security breach in weeks

On July 10, a man hopped the fence at Buckingham Palace while Queen Elizabeth slept. He was on the loose for at least four minutes before police captured him. 

“He was determined to get inside the palace and was banging down the doors but, thank goodness, everything was locked up,” an insider told The Sun.

Officials said the break-in might have been a copycat operation. The man may have been mimicking Michael Fagan, who broke into Buckingham Palace in July 1982. Fagan made it all the way to the queen’s bedroom, where he planned on slitting his wrists in front of her. But luckily, help came and he got caught.

“This intruder got into the Palace almost 37 years to the day since Michael Fagan ended up getting inside the Queen’s bedroom. There is a genuine theory and very real fear that he could have been launching a copycat operation,” insiders told The Sun of the July 2019 break-in. 

The good news is that the queen and the Cambridge kids are OK. But it couldn’t hurt to have more security — right?