Does Tom Brady Eat Meat?

Tom Brady is one of the most famous football players in the world, and one of the most successful. During the course of his historic career, Brady has accumulated six Super Bowl rings and won numerous honors. Needless to say, his job is very physically demanding, requiring that Brady be in peak condition at all times.

He definitely puts in a lot of work in the gym, even in his off-season, but he also follows a very strict diet. Brady has been open about the type of meal plan that works best for him, and while it’s certainly not an easy one for many people to sustain, it is packed full of nutrients. Keep reading to learn about Tom Brady‘s diet and what his “cheat days” look like.

Tom Brady follows the ‘TB12’ diet

In late 2017, Tom Brady published a book that detailed his specific diet plan and how it works. The TB12 Method, as the eating plan is known, was developed by Brady and relies mainly on whole, unprocessed foods like vegetables and lean proteins. According to Brady, the diet boosts energy levels, reduces inflammation in the body, and has contributed a great deal to his success on the field.

The TB12 diet consists of 80% organically grown fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seeds, legumes, and nuts. The remaining 20% is made up of only organic, hormone-free meats and wild-caught seafood. The list of foods that are not allowed on the diet is very extensive and includes things such as oils, gluten, caffeine, added sugars, alcohol, and any iodized salt. The TB12 diet is also very strict about the way foods are combined. According to the rules of the diet, fruits are never to be combined with any other food, and those who follow the diet should avoid combining high protein foods like meat with carbohydrate-based foods like sweet potatoes.

Tom Brady’s everyday eating habits

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during a home game against the Miami Dolphins
Tom Brady | Adam Glanzman/Getty Images

One of the big no-nos on the TB12 diet are any processed foods, including bacon, lunchmeat, hot dogs, granola bars, etc … Tom Brady follows his diet to the letter, and when his book was released in 2017, it included a detailed look at his daily eating schedule. In the morning, Brady drinks twenty ounces of water before eating anything and follows the rush of hydration with a smoothie. Typically, Brady includes blueberries, bananas, seeds, and nuts in the smoothie, to give him a calorie boost for the day.

Following a workout, Brady has another smoothie, usually high in protein. His typical lunch consists of a piece of fish and a lot of vegetables. Brady also snacks frequently throughout the day, usually on something like a banana or meal-plan-approved protein bar. Dinners for Tom Brady look similar to lunches and usually include a protein-rich main, like fish or organic red meat, and again, lots of vegetables. Although it is a very strict eating routine, Brady has stated that he never feels like he is missing out when following the diet.

Does Tom Brady cheat on his diet?

Even though he follows a dedicated eating plan, Brady is human and gives in to his cravings on occasion. In a recent interview, Brady admitted that he doesn’t restrict himself if he really wants a piece of bacon or a slice of pizza – he just limits himself to only one slice of bacon or one slice of pizza.  

While most of Brady’s fans likely won’t attempt his intense eating plan themselves, it is certainly interesting to see how one of the world’s greatest athletes fuels his body.