If you’ve never been to a Comic-Con, it’s worth booking a ticket just for the Game of Thrones cosplays alone. Sure, you’ll get the chance to view new movie trailers, buy awesome swag, and maybe even meet a few celebrities, but seeing the creativity of super fans dressed as their favorite characters? That’s where things get really interesting.
Cosplay communities have been thriving for decades, but their popularity has exploded since the advent of social media. Suddenly, fans from around the world could easily connect, share ideas, and plan events. As a result, today’s cosplayers aren’t just professional models or comic book nerds – they’re doctors, teachers, students, bankers, and everything in between. Some are young, others are old, and a special few even find ways to include the entire family.
It’s no surprise that a fandom as large as Game of Thrones would inspire cosplay, but these 25 costumes really take things to the next level. There’s a few that look eerily similar to the real deal, while others take a more humorous approach, but each and every one captures the essence of our favorite characters from Game of Thrones.
Warning: spoilers ahead!
1. Let’s start things off with a bang! Behold, Cersei’s walk of atonement
Jaime Lannister, Septa Unella, shamed Cersei, a jeering Westerosi woman, Lancel … it’s simple, but genius. Shame on us for not thinking of it first.
2. You don’t have to spend a lot of money in order for your cosplay to be effective. Just ask Hodor and Raisin Bran
Most photographed backside at the convention, hands down.
3. However, hand-crafting a great cosplay can take a considerable amount of time and patience
Mica Bethea is well-known in the cosplay community for using his wheelchair as the most epic of accessories. If you think his Iron Throne is good, wait until you see his Thanos!
4. But, if you aren’t exactly crafty, you can always just throw a severed hand around your neck and call it a day
It might not have been Jaime Lannister’s finest moment, but it makes for a great cosplay. Bonus points if you actually skip a few showers beforehand.
5. Embodying your favorite character is all about attitude, as this Khaleesi and Dragon prove
She’s got that fierce look down, and whoever is in that dragon costume is clearly having the best day of their life.
6. Hodor “holding the door.” Too soon, man, too soon
Seriously, though, this guy had exactly 29 days between the season six finale and his July 25th Comic-Con appearance to pull this off. That takes commitment.
7. Best use of props goes to the murder of Renly Baratheon
“Honey, grab the Halloween decorations out of the garage, I’ve just had the greatest idea!”
8. And we’ll give this Khal Drogo and Khaleesi most incredible backdrop for this photo taken in Laguna Beach, California
Don’t be too intimated by this duo – they’re professionals. René Koiter’s cosplays of Khal Drogo have gained him over 6,000 Facebook fans, while Rebecca Watts is known for hand-crafting her own clothing, jewelry, and wigs.
9. This woman is such a natural Cersei, we’re pretty sure she did wake up like this
Is the photo on the bag supposed to be Lena Headey playing Cersei or her playing Lena Headey playing Cersei? There’s no way to know.
10. Reddit named this cosplay “Sexy Tyrion Lannister,” but “disturbing” would have been a better description
Sex appeal aside, it’s an incredible mask. Even Peter Dinklage doesn’t look that much like Peter Dinklage.
11. Kids can get in one the cosplay fun, too!
This tiny Sansa Stark was a huge hit at the San Diego 2016 Comic-Con, where she appeared with her dad who was dressed as Wun Wun the giant. More pictures can be viewed at Tech Insider.
12. Puns and props aside, there are some cosplayers who look exactly like the real deal — just look at this Margaery Tyrell
Believe it or not, that is not Natalie Dormer – it’s professional cosplayer Santatory. From Margaery to Lara Croft to Wonder Woman, her many looks are stunningly realistic.
13. Or this Jon Snow… Kit, is that you?
We’re still not convinced it’s not him.
14. This Petyr Baelish has Littlefinger’s expression down pat
Either he’s a natural or he spent weeks practicing that in front of a mirror.
15. And don’t forget about this Arya Stark! No, that’s not Maisie Williams, we promise
It’s Ginny Di, who also does a fantastic Silk.
16. This guy looks absolutely nothing like the Mother of Dragons, but he gets an A ++ for creativity
And a fist bump for considerate dragon placement.
17. Two lovely sand snakes… but where’s the third?
Since they wore it to Bristol Ren Faire and not an actual Game of Thrones event, we’ll give them a break. This time…
18. The Hound and mini-Hound – this is parenting done right!
It’ll probably be a few years before the little guy can actually watch the show, though.
19. Even a femme Khal Drogo has to return her library books
Head to toe, this is an example of crossplay at its finest.
20. The only way we like King Joffrey – dead!
21. This hand-made Iron Throne dress is truly a thing of beauty
She could legit wear this every day and we’d be okay with it.
22. Khal Drogo, Khaleesi, and three baby dragons – not exactly accurate, but we love it!
The only thing better than their costumes is when the three-year-old said, “The kids were dragons, mommy was a princess, and daddy was a ‘scary.’” Whatever you say, kid!
23. It’s hysterical… it’s horrifying… it’s Daenerys eating a horse heart
Save this for the next time your partner asks you to do a couple’s costume.
24. Robb Stark, Ned Stark, and Jon Snow…. oh, and they’re pugs!
The Pugs of Westeroes, to be exact. To see them in action, check out YouTube.
25. And, last but not least, Grim Reaper George R. R. Martin and wolf-head Robb Stark
It’s a fitting way to end things. After all, George R. R. Martin is probably sitting in his office at this very moment, writing The Winds of Winter and killing off a few more of our favorite characters.