The New Yorker has published a bombshell new investigation in which three women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape, and the influential producer has now issued a statement.
Weinstein’s spokesperson Sallie Hofmeister delivered a statement to The Hollywood Reporter in the wake of Tuesday’s story from The New Yorker, and she says that Weinstein denies the rape allegations. She also denies that Weinstein retaliated against women making these allegations by planting false stories about them in the press as The New Yorker’s report states.
“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” Hofmeister said. “Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.”
Hofmeister goes on to say that Weinstein is hoping to be given a second chance after going through counseling.
“Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path,” Hofmeister said. “Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”
The new piece from The New Yorker comes from Ronan Farrow, who says that he worked on this investigation for 10 months. In it, three women say that Weinstein raped them. Two of those women went on the record, the first being Asia Argento, an actress who was in a movie produced by Miramax and who says that Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her after she asked him to stop. The second is Lucia Evans, who says that when she was an aspiring actress and college student, Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him. The third woman is not named, but she says that she was brought to Weinstein’s hotel room for what she thought was a professional meeting but that he proceeded to change into a bathrobe and force himself on her.
In addition, several other women say that Harvey Weinstein behaved inappropriately around them or tried to proposition them, with multiple actresses saying that Weinstein removed them from projects or dissuaded people from hiring them after they rejected his advances.
Not mentioned in this New Yorker report is actress Rose McGowan, who in the past has heavily implied that Harvey Weinstein raped her. Back in 2016, McGowan said on Twitter that her ex sold their movie to her rapist for distribution. She appears to be talking about Planet Terror, a movie that was directed by her ex-boyfriend, Robert Rodriguez, and distributed by Harvey Weinstein. According to The New York Times, McGowan reached an undisclosed settlement with Weinstein in 1997 after an “an episode in a hotel room.”
Because my ex sold our movie to my rapist for distribution #WhyWomenDontReport
— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) October 14, 2016
That was part of The New York Times’ major investigation last week that alleged Harvey Weinstein had paid off multiple women over the years after being accused of sexual harassment. In the wake of this report, Weinstein was fired from his own movie studio, The Weinstein Company, and dozens of Hollywood celebrities are now issuing statements admonishing him. While The Times’ report was what led to Weinstein’s downfall, the New Yorker piece is actually more damning in that it quotes more women as saying that the studio executive raped them as opposed to behaving inappropriately or harassing them.
The statement today is not the first time that Harvey Weinstein has expressed that he hopes to receive a second chance after all of this. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s Janice Min, Weinstein sent an email to Hollywood CEOs last week begging for them to support him.
“All I’m asking, is let me take a leave of absence and get into heavy therapy and counseling,” he reportedly wrote. “Whether it be in a facility or somewhere else, allow me to resurrect myself with a second chance. A lot of the allegations are false as you know but given therapy and counseling as other people have done, I think I’d be able to get there.”
JUST IN: Weinstein's desperate email to Hwood CEOs, moguls hours before his firing. Read to me by a disgusted (male) recipient pic.twitter.com/wQA64WcKf7
— Janice Min (@janicemin) October 9, 2017