Is Meghan Markle Launching a Parenting Website?

After Meghan Markle began dating Prince Harry, she totally disappeared from the Internet. It was a sad moment for fans who enjoyed seeing Markle’s music playlists, personal reflections, and tips on food, beauty, fashion, and, travel. But is a change coming?

A new filing suggests that the Duchess of Sussex is gearing up to reboot her old lifestyle website, The Tig, and start a parenting website. So, could it be? Is she really about to launch two sites?

Meghan Markle
Meghan Markle | Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

More on the documents

Let’s start with The Tig.

The Sun reported on Sept. 13 that Markle’s business manager Andrew Meyer recently filed documents in the United States for the royal to keep the rights to The Tig until 2021.

A source suggested to the outlet that Meyer could have made the move to ensure that no one uses the name without Markle’s involvement. But they also said there’s a chance Markle might want to use the site to promote her royal causes.

“It’s fascinating Meghan’s business manager has ensured she keeps The Tig for a few more years at least. Of course, it’s understandable she wouldn’t want an entrepreneur using the name without her involvement,” the source explained. “But given her desire to be a different type of royal — pushing her own causes using digital and social media — it’s not out of the question she’d think The Tig could play an important role.”

A website name Tigtots was also trademarked, fueling speculation that Markle might release a site aimed at parents now that she’s a mom. (In case you were living under a rock, she and Prince Harry welcomed their first child, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, back in May.)

View this post on Instagram

Last month, The Duchess of Sussex surprised Smart Works clients during the capsule collection shoot in west London…Today, The Duchess, alongside @SmartWorksCharity – in partnership with @InsideJigsaw, @JohnLewisandPartners, @MarksandSpencer and @MishaNonoo – are incredibly proud to reveal to everyone, #TheSmartSet – a five piece capsule collection that will equip the Smart Works clients with the classic wardrobe pieces to help them feel confident as they mobilise back into the work space. • “Since moving to the UK, it has been deeply important to me to meet with communities and organisations on the ground doing meaningful work and to try to do whatever I can to help them amplify their impact. It was just last September that we launched the ‘Together’ cookbook with the women of the Hubb Kitchen in Grenfell. Today, a year later, I am excited to celebrate the launch of another initiative of women supporting women, and communities working together for the greater good. Thank you to the four brands who came together in supporting Smart Works on this special project – placing purpose over profit and community over competition. In convening several companies rather than one, we’ve demonstrated how we can work collectively to empower each other – another layer to this communal success story, that I am so proud to be a part of” – The Duchess of Sussex The collection – which features a shirt, trousers, blazer, dress and tote bag – will be on sale for two weeks starting today, with the objective of selling enough units to give Smart Works the essentials they need to help dress clients for the coming year! For every item bought during the sale of the collection, one will be donated to Smart Works, this 1:1 model allows customers to directly support the Smart Works women by playing a part in their success story – how they look and more importantly, how they feel. Photo © @JennyZarins

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

But a palace spokesperson shut the rumors down

On Sept. 16, a palace spokesperson told People magazine that there are “absolutely no plans to relaunch The Tig.”

“The lasting trademark is to prevent false branding, to avoid others purporting to be the Duchess or affiliated with her,” the representative added. (The spokesperson did not elaborate on Tigtots.)

Markle started the Tig in 2014, describing it as “a hub for the discerning palate — those with a hunger for food, travel, fashion, and beauty.” But just three years later, the Suits actress announced that she was closing “little engine that could” as her romance with Prine Harry blossomed.

She also shut down her social media accounts

In January of 2018, Markle closed her Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages ahead of her wedding to Prince Harry. (As Hello! Magazine notes, the decision was in line with royal tradition.)

Kensington Palace said via a statement that Markle “is grateful to everyone who has followed her social media accounts over the years” but “she has not used these accounts for some time.”

But she later returned to Instagram. She and Prince Harry have a joint account, where she recently shared the sweetest message in honor of her husband’s 35th birthday on Sept. 15.

So, while The Tig may be donezo, at least she’s kind of active on Instagram.