Joe Giudice From ‘RHONJ’ Shares Update on Life In Italy During Coronavirus Lockdown

After China, no country has been hit harder by the novel coronavirus than Italy. As of March 12, more than 1,000 people have died in Italy and more than 15,000 people have been infected. The entire country is on lockdown in an attempt to stem the spread of the disease, with restaurants, bars, and all stores except supermarkets and pharmacies forced to close. 

As the disease upends life in the European nation, Real Housewives of New Jersey alum Joe Giudice has a front-row seat to the unfolding crisis. After initially complaining about the coronavirus restrictions and suggesting people were overreacting, the reality TV star seems to be changing his tune. 

‘You gotta do what you gotta do,’ Giudice says 

Joe Giudice on WWHL
Joe Giudice | Charles Sykes/Bravo/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images

On March 12, shortly after the Italian government ordered all non-essential shops and services to close, Giudice shared a video with his Instagram followers. In it, he shows the deserted streets of  the small town in Salerno where he now lives after being deported from the U.S. 

“Today they literally shut everything down,” Giudice says. “Basically they’re containing this virus. I guess it’s good, in a way.” 

Despite the shutdown, Giudice said he was still intending to work. (He landed a new job doing construction and remodeling after moving to Italy in November 2019.) 

“Better to do something than nothing. I can’t just sit in the house all day,” he says. 

“It’s crazy,” Giudice adds. “You gotta do what you gotta do. It sucks but it is what it is. Be safe. Wash your hands.” 

Giudice relaxes in the mountains 

Giudice seems to be doing his best to keep his spirits up as the coronavirus ravages Italy. A few hours after posting the video of the deserted town, he shared another update. 

“We are up here in the mountains, staying out of the towns, cafes, and everything else. Having a little card game,” he says. In the video, Giudice smokes a cigar and shows off a view of the picturesque countryside. 

“God Bless everyone stay safe !!!” he captioned the post.

Previously, Giudice called the coronavirus restrictions ‘ridiculous’

Right now, Giudice seems to be taking the coronavirus lockdown in stride. But a few days ago, he called the restrictions “ridiculous.”

“More people die from Viagra (heart attacks and drug overdose) everyday than this Corona virus,” he wrote on Instagram. “Sorry lock down not for me. Never again!!!!!” he added.

That post generated a lot of criticism, with many people urging him to take the situation seriously and follow proper precautions like regularly washing his hands. 

“The elderly should be scared!!! A lot of elders in Italy Joe,” wrote one person. 

“How is people being scared ridiculous!” another commented. “People are scared and should be! Thankfully sensible people are following guidelines and advice!!!!”

In a follow-up post, Giudice clarified that he was “obeying the law going to work, shopping for family, and NO cafes, gym, and places like that.”

Read more: ‘RHONJ’: Joe Giudice Worries About Gaining Weight After Being in Italy a Few Months

Check out Showbiz Cheat Sheet on Facebook!