‘Lizzie McGuire’ Disney+ Revival Shuts Down Production for Now After Original Creator Exits

Disney+’s Lizzie McGuire revival series was arguably one of the most anticipated series of the year. Now, the project has hit a snag after the show’s original creator has departed. Since she has left the project, production has been put on hold.

Gary Marsh, president of Disney Channels Worldwide and Hilary Duff
Gary Marsh, president of Disney Channels Worldwide and Hilary Duff | The Walt Disney Company/Image Group LA via Getty Images

Everything we knew about the series so far

Original stars Hallie Todd, Robert Carradine and Jake Thomas were announced to join title star Hilary Duff in the Disney+ revival. Adam Lamberg had also been announced to reprise his role of Gordo.

The new Lizzie McGuire series was initially set to pick up as the character is about to turn 30. She had a dream job as a decorator’s assistant in New York City, a boyfriend, and a Brooklyn apartment, but as the official logline noted, “things aren’t always as they seem.” With her friends and family by her side, along with her 13-year-old animated alter-ego, she would navigate adulthood.

“We are incredibly excited to bring back one of the most popular Disney Channel series of all time along with some beloved and familiar faces. With Terri at the helm and Hilary, Hallie, Robert, and Jake back after all these years, it’s our honor to welcome the McGuire family into the Disney+ family,” said Ricky Strauss, president, Content & Marketing, Disney+ in an earlier statement to members of the press.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, also said at the time, “Just like there is no Lizzie McGuire without Hilary Duff, there is no McGuire family without Hallie, Robert, and Jake. The original series holds a special place in the hearts of so many, and we can’t wait to introduce fans, both old and new, to an older, wiser, yet still perfectly imperfect Lizzie.”

Why the original creator is leaving

The original series creator, Terri Minsky, was set to return for the revival as the showrunner. She was also going to executive produce with Duff and Rachel Winter. Variety exclusively reported Minsky’s exit on Thursday.

“Fans have a sentimental attachment to Lizzie McGuire and high expectations for a new series. After filming two episodes, we concluded that we need to move in a different creative direction and are putting a new lens on the show,” a Disney spokesperson told the outlet.

The show is currently looking for a new showrunner, but it’s assumed that production wouldn’t start back up until the new person is tapped. It is unknown if the show would be revamped with an entirely new premise or not.

Fans should not be worried though, it looks like regardless of whoever is helming the revival series, Disney+ is committed to bringing the beloved show back to our screens.