Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Official Royal Exit Date Is Sooner Than You Think

It’s been a while since Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry announced that they were stepping down from their titles as senior royals. Initially, the two still wanted to represent the Queen, but just desired a lesser role in the royal family. Unfortunately, Queen Elizabeth II determined there was no way the pair could operate in partial roles for the royal family, so they had to give up their positions as working royals altogether.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle | Anwar Hussein/WireImage

Now, the details of how and when this change will go into effect have just been released.

Why did Prince Harry and Meghan Markle want to step down?

Meghan was used to being in the public eye. As a former model and actress, the California native had been in the spotlight for years. But nothing could have prepared her for the onslaught of criticism that would come from the British press. No matter what she did, the press wrote horrible and sometimes false stories about her. The media never let up, even after she revealed in the documentary Harry and Meghan: An African Journey that she wasn’t coping well with all of the attention.

Unfortunately for Harry, media attention on his family has ended tragically in the past. So, he was not willing to allow what happened to his mother, Princess Diana to happen to his new family.

“The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly,” he said during a speech at the dinner for Sentebale in London. “It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option. What I want to make clear is, we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you.”

When will these changes take effect?

Though Harry and Meghan have been living together in Canada recently, they have still technically been working royals. The changes won’t go into effect for over a month.

“Starting April 1, Harry and Meghan will no longer hold an office at Buckingham Palace and will instead be represented by their U.K. charity foundation team,” a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement obtained by People.

“The Duke and Duchess will be spending their time in both the United Kingdom and North America,” the spokesperson continued. “In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the U.K. and the Commonwealth throughout the year, The Duke and Duchess have also been undertaking meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organization. The details of this new organization will be shared later in the year.”

This new model might not be permanent. It is really just a trial run to see how the Sussexes can move forward.

“As there is no precedent for this new model of working and eventual financial independence, the Royal Family and The Sussexes have agreed to an initial 12-month review to ensure the arrangement works for all parties,” the spokesperson said.

Meghan and Harry have yet to comment on this new information.