Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Must ‘Raise Their Game’ in 2020 Because of Prince Andrew, Royal Commentators Say
We don’t know what the future holds but for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the Duchess and Duke of Sussex, 2020 is expected to be an even busier year than the last for the working royals. Continue reading to learn why royal commentators think the Sussexes will have an even more jam-packed schedule than normal in the new year.
Working royals famously don’t have jobs outside of the royal family and instead make royal life their main focus. For Prince Harry and Markle that means they fill their days by attending events on behalf of the British royal family. Come Jan. 1, 2020, the couple is set to have an even busier royal life as a direct result of Prince Andrew stepping back from his own duties.
Markle and Prince Harry must ‘put in a lot more work’ in 2020
Royal expert, Omid Scobie, said during an episode of the Heirpod podcast, with fellow expert Victoria Arbiter, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as well as other younger members of the royal family, will have their work cut out them in 2020, according to the DailyMail.com.
Scobie said the couple along with Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, will all “’need” to “raise their game” next year after Prince Andrew announced he’d be taking a step back from royal life amid his connection to Jeffrey Epstein and the interview the Duke of York gave on the subject.
“2020 is going to get a lot busier for all of them with Prince Andrew out of the mix now,” Arbiter said. “We’ve just lost one member of the royal family technically and, already, the workload increases for everyone else.”
The Sussexes and Cambridges have already gotten busier, the experts said, because of Queen Elizabeth II’s advancing age.
“As the Queen steps back, the younger royals having to step forward and put in a lot more work,” Scobie said.
Middleton already received new duties from Queen Elizabeth II
Middleton’s workload has already increased. Queen Elizabeth II passed on her patronage of Family Action after 65 years to her granddaughter-in-law, according to Town and Country. This happened previously in June 2019 when Queen Elizabeth II handed down her patronage of the Royal Photographic Society to Middleton.
The experts think the increased workload came at a good time because Middleton got the opportunity to devote much of her time to her and Prince William’s three children — Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis — before becoming more involved in royal duties.
“Kate is quite fortunate she had their children when she did because she’s been able to be hands-on with them,” Arbiter said.
But at the same time, it’s nice to see her doing more.
“It’s great, she is a mother, she has three kids, she has a very busy plate as it is…but to see her taking on even more is needed,” she added.
Sussexes are taking a break from royal duties
Currently, the couple is in the middle of a six-week break from royal duties. They reportedly spent Thanksgiving with Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, in the Duchess’s home state of Calif., after an official 10-day tour of Africa in late Sept. and early Oct. 2019 with their son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor in tow.
Nearing the end of their tour, Prince Harry and Markle announced a lawsuit against various British tabloids for publishing Markle’s private letters and accessing her personal voicemails.
This came days before their documentary, Harry and Meghan: An African Journey aired in the U.K. and later, the U.S., which featured interviews with the couple regarding how they’ve been treated by the press. One of the most notable takeaways from the interview? Markle revealing in a solo interview she was “not ok” with the negative media attention.
Clearly, there’s a lot in store for the royal family in 2020.