Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Just Shut Down Their Sussex Royal Instagram
It’s truly the end of an era. As of April 1, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry will officially step away from the British royal family as senior working members. As a result of Megxit, the pair have permanently relocated from the U.K. to Los Angeles, California. Also, though they have not been stripped of their His/Her Royal Highness titles, they will no longer be using them going forward.
There has been a ton of discussion about how the Sussexes will brand themselves going forward. We do know that Queen Elizabeth has asked the pair to drop the royal aspect from their Sussex Royal brand, and it appears that they will be doing so moving forward.
Still, with the rebrand, royal fans never expected the pair to abandon their Sussex Royal Instagram and website completely. But that’s exactly what just happened.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will no longer use the brand name, Sussex Royal
Despite their massive 11.3 million followers, their royal crest, and their website, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to drop the royal aspect of their brand.
“While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word “Royal” overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use “Sussex Royal” or any iteration of the word “Royal” in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020,” the Sussexes said in a recent statement regarding Megxit. “The trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures and that reflected the same standard trademarking requests as done for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been removed.”
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could have made millions from their Sussex Royal Instagram
With 11.3 million followers, the Sussexes could have rebranded the account and made millions. According to the influencer marketing platform Inzpire.me and The Sun, “The Sussexes Instagram account could rake in as much as £85,271.19 (that’s approximately $109,808) for each sponsored post.”
However, these are small pennies considering the $1 million the duke and duchess allegedly just earned from a talk at a February JP Morgan event. Also, sports agent Darren Prince told TMZ that the Sussexes could have easily netted up to £7.74 million (about $10 million) for a book deal.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just shut down their Instagram
The Sussexes just shared their final post on their Sussex Royal Instagram account. They have announced that they will no longer use Instagram under the @SussexRoyal handle or update their website, SussexRoyal.com.
Though they will remain inactive, “both the Instagram account and website will remain in existence online for the foreseeable future,” a spokesperson for the couple stated. The spokesperson also gave us a clue as to what the Sussexes’ will be up to in the coming months.
“Meghan and Harry will spend the next few months focusing on their family and continuing to do what they can, safely and privately, to support and work with their pre-existing charitable commitments while developing their future non-profit organization,” the Sussexes’ spokesperson said. “For now, there will be no additional information on their next steps.”
Going forward, Buckingham Palace will no longer comment on inquiries related to Prince Harry and Meghan.