Meghan Markle Pulled Out of Her First Post-Megxit Event With Prince Harry

Earlier this month, Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex announced that they were “stepping back as senior royals.” Following the news, Meghan retreated to Canada and has been there ever since. However, she was supposed to attend an affair with her husband, which would have their first public appearance together post-Megxit, but that didn’t happen.

Read on to find which event the duchess backed out of and what Harry told the audience about their decision to leave royal life behind.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry | DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS – WPA Pool/Getty Images

The duchess dropped out of this event following Megxit

Reports have surfaced that Markle was supposed to join Harry at a dinner for his Sentable charity, which he founded in 2006 to honor his late mother’s legacy by supporting people affected by HIV and AIDS.

According to a report via the Daily Mail, the duchess was supposed to be at the Sentebale charity event in London on Jan. 19 with her husband but “left him at the last minute to face the world’s cameras alone.” 

One source claimed they were led to believe Meghan was going to be there and even had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so those details wouldn’t be leaked to the press in advance.

“It was this big, crazy NDA’d thing, that’s how we knew Meghan was involved from the off,” the source told the publication. “It was always billed as a Meghan and Harry event behind the scenes — with hopes the Duchess might speak or play a part in the speech. All of a sudden we were told Meghan wasn’t going to be making an appearance after all, let alone making the speech.”

Harry addressed the couple’s decision to ‘step back’ at the event

During the ceremony, Prince Harry spoke candidly about the decision he and his wife had made to leave royal life behind and why they chose to do so.

“Once Meghan and I were married, we were excited, we were hopeful, and we were here to serve,” the duke told those in attendance. “For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this. The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.”

He added, “What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you … But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.”

Harry and Meghan will be spending much of their time in North America going forward and have been looking at properties in Kitsilano located in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Read more: This Royal Family Member Just Broke Their Silence About Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Stepping Down