5 New Video Game Leaks and Rumors: ‘Star Wars’ and More

Like any medium big and popular enough to spark rabid fandom, the video game industry is full of secrets. Companies wait for just the right time to announce new games and hardware in hopes of making the biggest splash possible. Fans, on the other hand, want to know everything that’s coming down the line as soon as possible. In that kind of environment, leaks and rumors are bound to trickle out.

And do they ever. This week we’ve uncovered five rumors and leaks that have a decent chance of being true. So follow along as we pull back the curtain to see what might be coming up in the world of video games.

1. Will PlayStation Neo launch before October?

The 20th anniversary special edition PlayStation 4

Source: Sony

Videogamer reports that the heavily rumored PlayStation 4.5 (code-named Neo) will launch sometime before October 2016. The speculation is based on an earnings report from French game distributor Innelec Multimedia, which said an “evolution” of the PS4 will ship during the first half of its current financial year. Since its financial year runs from April 2016 to March 2017, the first half would end on September 30, meaning the rumored Neo console would have to be out by then.

That timeline jibes with previously reported information from Giant Bomb, whose sources said that every PS4 game launching starting in October will need to support both the current PS4 and the Neo.

Once this information hit the internet, Innelec offered the following statement: “Innelec denies any official information about the launch of a PS4K Neo. It is possible that during the 2016/2017 fiscal developments exist on the current PS4 [but] for the moment we have no information about the nature of them.”

2. Is a Star Wars RTS game in the works?

An AT-AT marches through a desert city, fighting the rebel alliance.

Source: Daily Motion

Nerd Leaks has uncovered footage of what appears to be a real-time strategy game set in the Star Wars universe. The video keeps being removed wherever it crops up, but at the time of this writing you can watch it here.

The video shows rebel and imperial forces doing battle in a sandy city. Gamespot reports that the footage was originally posted by Elise Baldwin, an audio director for a number of games from Electronic Arts. Gamespot suggests that the game has probably been canceled, which would explain why an employee might have uploaded the footage.

3. Footage of an SNES Akira game emerges

Older anime fans are sure to remember Akira, a cult classic movie that came out in 1988. Apparently the movie inspired a Super Nintendo game that never ended up making it to market. But thanks to YouTube, we now have a look at it.

Unseen64, a website that showcases canceled video games, unearthed the video, which comes from the show floor of the 1994 Consumer Electronics Show. It shows the game in action, complete with cut scenes, motorcycle driving, first-person segments, and side-scrolling stages. It’s quite a mishmash of genres, so who knows if it would have been any good if it had ever come out.

4. Disney Infinity was about to get even better

The Star Wars characters in Disney Infinity 3.0, rumors

The Star Wars characters in Disney Infinity 3.0 | Source: Disney

Disney dropped a bombshell last week, when it closed its video game studio and announced the cancellation of the entire Disney Infinity line of toys-to-life figures and games. Speaking with Kotaku, some of the developers leaked information about the now-canceled plans for the game’s future.

Apparently Disney Infinity was going to get a new level pack and figures based on the upcoming movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, as well as a line of bigger 12-inch figures. Additionally, Disney Infinity 4.0, which was scheduled to release in 2017, was going to introduce a story mode that would mix together characters from the various universes in the game, including Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney.

Sounds pretty great, so it’s unfortunate that it won’t come to pass.

5. Rumor of what Fable 4 might have been

A screenshot from the cancelled game Fable Legends., rumors

A screenshot from the cancelled game Fable Legends | Source: Microsoft

More melancholy news about what might have been comes from Eurogamer regarding Fable 4. According to former Lionhead developers, the studio pitched Microsoft on an idea for the game to be set in Bowerstone, the same town as the previous games, but farther in the future, when it has grown into a major metropolis, complete with “tram cars and flying machines.” They planned to include characters based on Jack the Ripper and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. The game would have retained the humor of the previous trilogy, but with new mature themes and a grittier atmosphere.

Unfortunately, Microsoft rejected the pitch, calling on Lionhead to focus on what would become Fable Legends, a game Microsoft officially canceled when it closed the studio earlier this month.

Follow Chris on Twitter @_chrislreed
Check out The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!

More from Entertainment Cheat Sheet:

More Articles About:   , ,