Prince Charles Tested Positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Clarence House announced that Prince Charles tested positive for the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The 71-year-old Prince of Wales started displaying mild symptoms after his last public engagement on March 12.
How the Coronavirus has impact in the United Kingdom
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a global pandemic that is impacting people, businesses, and economies around the world.
The BBC reported there are now more than 8,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the United Kingdom. The actual number of cases is likely to be much higher, as symptoms can take up to two weeks to become apparent. The virus has killed 422 in the UK so far.
The royal family had already started preparing
Queen Elizabeth and Charles were both considered at high risk of contracting the Coronavirus because of their age. To prevent contracting the virus, the Queen put herself in self-quarantine.
Royal experts believed William would have to take on a more significant role in the monarchy in the weeks to come, especially if someone contracted the virus. Leading up to Charles’ diagnosis, Prince William was primed to be King by taking on more of a leadership role. Prince William was the first royal to address the pandemic on social media publicly.
The royal family took additional preparations for the eventuality that one of them would be diagnosed with the virus. Much of the royal family had already begun to spread out across Britain — away from London, placing themselves in quarantine.
Prince Charles diagnosed with COVID-19
The 71-year-old future King tested positive for the Coronavirus. He is currently in self-isolation Balmoral Castle in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall, who tested negative for the virus. A Clarence House spokesman said:
The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. Per Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.Clarence House Spokesman via CNN
Charles tested positive just two weeks after meeting with Prince Albert of Monaco, who tested positive after the WaterAid event in London March 10. Before his diagnosis, Prince Charles had canceled the remainder of his upcoming engagements.
The Clarence House spokesman said it was impossible to know where Charles contracted the virus, given the number of public engagements he has recently attended. Still, many are questioning whether he got it from Albert.
Per a Buckingham Palace spokesperson, the Queen remains in “good health.” While she was in contact with Prince Charles just hours before he became contagious, the spokesperson explained: “The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of March 12 and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.” Another source said Charles’ doctor’s most conservative estimate was that the Prince was contagious from March 13 to 24, just hours after he last saw his mother.
Queen Elizabeth left Buckingham Palace earlier this week and is expected to remain in Windsor Castle until after her typical Easter break.
This is a developing story. Stay tuned to Showbiz Cheat Sheet for updates on Prince Charles.