Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Won’t Be Working for Awhile
Following their final days as senior working members of the British royal family, Prince Harry, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex hoped to announce their new brand name and their plans for the future. Though the Sussexes had been working diligently on their next steps since announcing Megxit in January 2020, things didn’t actually turn out as planned.
When the duke and duchess finished their final royal engagements in early March 2020, there seemed to be a ton of friction between the couple and the remaining members of the British royal family. Almost as soon as they completed their final royal engagement, Commonwealth Day, the Sussexes left the U.K. for their rented home on Vancouver Island in Canada.
Unfortunately, just as Prince Harry and Meghan were set to focus on a new path, the coronavirus (COVID-19) began to ravage the world. As a result, the duo, along with their infant son, Archie, left Canada for their permanent home base, Los Angeles, California. Now it appears that the Sussexes won’t be working for quite some time.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry won’t launch their rebrand until later this year
Though they’d hoped to get on the ground running, the global pandemic has thwarted everyone’s plans, including the Sussexes. Though they’ve shuttered their Sussex Royal brand, and there have been rumors about Meghan relaunching, The Tig, a cookbook and more acting work, no Sussex news will be announced in the near future.
“Meghan and Harry are trying to rebrand themselves and want to make a big media splash but are stymied by the coronavirus situation,” a source said to US Weekly. “They are losing out on potential paid opportunities by having to keep a low profile. They did the move to L.A. to be closer to the deal makers and are setting up calls and virtual meetings with agents, studio heads. Meghan and Harry are “plotting for a summer or fall ‘splash.’”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are spending their time as a family in LA
Like many of us, the Sussexes are practicing self-quarantining amid the coronavirus crisis. They are currently isolating in a compound in Hollywood. Though they are keeping in touch with family and friends, they are adhering to LA’s rules and regulations, which means no visitors.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend the next few months focusing on their family and continuing to do what they can, safely and privately, to support and work with their pre-existing charitable commitments while developing their future nonprofit organization,” the couple’s team said in a statement.
The pair are also using this quiet time to ease any lingering tensions with the British royal family.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry won’t be working for a while
The Sussexes hope to become completely financially independent in due time. For now, they will be getting financial help from Prince Charles. “Prince Charles will still continue to offer private financial support to Meghan, Harry, and Archie,” BAZAAR.com’s Royal Editor At Large, Omid Scobie, reported on Twitter.
In fact, it will be some time before the pair publically get back to work. After such a stressful time in the spotlight and amid their Megxit announcement, the duo is really relishing their time away from the spotlight.
“It is interesting because we had such a build-up since January to the departure of Meghan and Harry stepping back as senior working royals,” Scobie said on his podcast The Heir Pod. “Suddenly on March 31 it sort of crept up on us really quickly, we had the couple announcing the beginning of their transition period over the next year on Instagram. At the same time, they were announcing that they are closing down their social media and their website and taking a break for the next few months. I think it has really taken everyone by surprise. Because there was so much talk about the couple preparing projects and ready to launch initiatives. When actually it was two people that were like, ‘We need a break too.'”