Prince Harry Snubbed Donald Trump After His ‘Nasty’ Comments About Meghan Markle And Princess Diana

Donald Trump has kept a busy schedule during his first official visit to the U.K. Trump has dined with members of the royal family and even snapped a few photos with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles. But there is one royal who has successfully avoided extended contact with Trump. Prince Harry has yet to make a public appearance with the billionaire politician — and it all has something to do with Trump’s “nasty” comments about Meghan Markle.

Prince Harry during Donald Trump's visit to the UK.
Britain’s Prince Harry | Photo by MANDEL NGAN / AFP/Getty Images

Inside Prince Harry’s feud with Trump

Harry’s beef with Trump stems from comments he made about Markle. Shortly before Trump’s visit to the U.K., he was accused of calling Markle “nasty” for things she said about him during the 2016 election.

Once Harry found out about the negative remarks, he reportedly got angry and decided a snubbing was in order. It is worth noting that Trump denied calling Markle “nasty” and said that he was simply referring to her comments.

According to Express, Trump noted that he does not feel a need to apologize for what he said about Markle. Trump told reporters that he did not make a “bad comment,” which probably didn’t help mend things with Harry. In fact, this could very well be the reason why Prince Harry avoided public interactions with Trump, though he did attend a state banquet with him and other members of the royal family.

Prince Harry snubs Trump

Trump traveled to the U.K. Monday morning and is scheduled to remain in the country for three days. This is Trump’s first official visit across the pond, and his first stop was Buckingham Palace for a quick meeting with Queen Elizabeth. Although most of his family put on a good face when greeting Trump, Harry lurked in the background and seemingly made it a point not to interact with Trump when cameras were present.

Harry did, however, mingle with Trump’s family, including his wife, Melania, and daughter, Ivanka. Royal watchers believe that Harry’s behavior towards Trump was a calculated move related to what the latter said about Markle.

To make matters even worse, Trump previously said that he could have hooked up with Harry’s late mother, Princess Diana. Trump made the controversial comments back in 1997, shortly after Diana’s tragic death in France.

Markle skips out on Trump’s banquet

Given Trump’s statements about the former actress, it was probably a good thing that Markle is still on maternity leave. Markle was not able to attend any of the events this week because she is currently looking after her baby boy at the couple’s home in Windsor. Markle gave birth to her first baby, Archie Harrison, last month.

Prince Harry also chose to skip out on Trump’s banquet Monday night. It is unclear why Harry was not able to attend the dinner, though his older brother and sister-in-law, Prince William and Kate Middleton, were guests at the event.

Apart from meeting with members of the royal family, Trump is scheduled to talk with Prime Minister Theresa May. He is expected to leave the country later this week and will head home after a brief stop in Ireland.

Trump responds to the criticism

In light of all the rumors surrounding his state visit, People reports that Trump sat down with Piers Morgan to discuss what he said about Markle. Trump did not back down on his earlier comments and was adamant that he was not nasty to the former Suits star.

“She was nasty to me, and that’s okay for her to be nasty,” Trump shared. “It’s not good for me to be nasty to her and I wasn’t.”

Trump also opened up about meeting Prince Harry for the first time. Trump revealed that Harry was very kind to him, despite all of the negative rumors. He also added that he almost brought up his comments about Markle but the subject never came up.

Trump ended the conversation by complimenting Markle on how she is doing a great job in her new role as a member of the royal family.

Buckingham Palace has not issued a statement regarding Trump’s comments about Markle or Prince Harry’s “snub.” Trump was originally supposed to visit the U.K. in 2017 but kept delaying the trip until this year.