Prince William and Kate Middleton Are Becoming More Secretive About Their Royal Engagements for 1 Important Reason

A large part of a royal’s job is to attend engagements and draw attention to their work. Engagements often include visits to different charity organizations to raise awareness for these causes.

However, Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have become more secretive about their royal engagements. The couple is now keeping their outings on the down-low and no longer publicizing their work right away. There is, of course, an important reason for this new behavior.

Kate Middleton and Prince William
Kate Middleton and Prince William | Ian Vogler – Pool/Getty Images

Prince William and Kate Middleton are no longer announcing their engagements in advance

Fans are usually allowed to know where William and Kate’s engagement will take place in advance, but the palace has put a stop to this practice for the time being.

According to Express, William and Kate recently visited various places in London, including Beigel Bakery, London Bridge Jobcentre, the London Muslim Centre, and the East London Mosque. For each visit, they did not publicize information about it until a few days later.

William and Kate are being secretive because of the pandemic

RELATED: Did Kate Middleton and Prince William Ignore 1 Huge Chance to Be Environmentally Friendly?

This news is unfortunate for fans who would like to catch a glimpse of the Cambridges as they carry out engagements. However, it is an important health measure to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“The royals always attract a crowd, no matter where they go, so if they announce any visit, then they would worry about the number in the crowds and social distancing implications,” said ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship, as reported by Express.

Meanwhile, ITV News Royal Producer Lizzie Robinson shared, “People had actually that realised Kate and William were in the bakery in Brick Lane this week. A crowd did gather outside – that’s the nature of them. It would have been worse if they had been pre-announcement. I can’t see us being able to announce any visit in advance for the foreseeable future, really.”

William and Kate reportedly broke social distancing protocol when dropping their kids off at school

RELATED: Prince William Admits Kate Middleton Is A Lot More Patient Than He Is When It Comes to Their Kids

Although it seems William and Kate are taking social distancing seriously by wearing masks at engagements and encouraging crowds to not gather, they reportedly broke a rule when dropping their kids off at school.

According to The Sun, the two oldest Cambridge kids—Prince George and Princess Charlotte—returned to school on Sept. 7 after five months of being at home with their parents. The school, Thomas’s Battersea, allegedly instructed parents to drop their children off further away from the usual drop-off point before the pandemic. Yet, William and Kate were somehow able to bypass this restriction.

“According to one parent, the school has installed numerous COVID prevention measures and parents now have to drop children at the school gates,” said royal expert Katie Nicholl. “The Cambridges, however, are still able to drive their children into the school grounds.”

Things at school are no doubt different compared to before, but it seems the Cambridge kids are not complaining very much. As Nicholl said, “[George and Charlotte] are said to be thrilled to be back at school with their friends, even though some activities such as swimming have been suspended.”