Royal Family Had an ‘Astonishing’ Request for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Following Their Exit, Expert Claims

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex have started the next chapter in their lives, moving on from their royal duties to live an existence far from the spotlight and media scrutiny. Their initial announcement came as a surprise to many but was supported by Queen Elizabeth and, one royal expert claims, the palace made an “astonishing request” of the Sussexes when they left the royal family.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry visit Reprezent 107.3FM on January 9, 2018 in London, England
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry | Chris Jackson/Getty Images

The royal family had an interesting request for the Sussexes

Prince Harry and Meghan made a stunning announcement in January — a plan to take a step back from their roles to live a more normal existence. The queen worked to finalize all of the details, signed off on the drastic departure, and issued a statement in support of Prince Harry and Meghan’s plan.

The Sussexes finished up the last of their royal engagements before they officially left their royal duties behind on Mar. 31. The couple had been living in Canada before making a move to Los Angeles amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The palace, according to one royal expert, had an “astonishing request” for Prince Harry and Meghan for the first few months of their life, post-exit.

In discussing the Sussexes’ exit during the Pod Save the Queen podcast, the show’s host and the Daily Mirror’s royal editor Russell Myers shared what’s next for the couple. According to Myers, that included the family’s request for Prince Harry and Meghan “to have some time off.”

“Certainly people I’ve spoken have said that there were huge, huge plans to launch them and their new foundation alongside the social media profiles within weeks of leaving,” Myers shared. “Obviously that has been put on the back burner for now, due to the global situation with COVID-19.”

Myers continued: “The family had certainly told them to take a step back and to have some time off.

“I found that a bit astonishing, really.”

“They’d already had time off with their seven-week holiday, and with everything that’s been going on they really haven’t been seen publicly for such a long time,” Myers noted. “But because the situation and emotions had run so high, that’s probably not bad advice, to take a few months off. And the coronavirus situation is unfortunately going to last several months.”

He added, “I just don’t know how they can put themselves to good use, publicly, at the moment.”

The Sussexes can use this time to ‘re-evaluate’

Myers shared how, rather than rushing into a new project, they can use the time to “re-evaluate where they are in the world.”

“I think you’ve only got to look at the public opinion, it has shifted for them unfortunately,” the royal expert explained. “It goes back to what the family were telling them, they need to take some time off and really re-evaluate where they are in the world.”

He added, “Perhaps it will allow them to realize what it means to have a profile like that.”

The couple announced their new brand Archewell

Despite the reported request to take time off, the Sussexes announced a new brand to replace the Sussex Royal brand they had to give up when they left the royal family.

Though they hadn’t planned to announce Archewell amid the coronavirus pandemic, the Telegraph’s royal correspondent Hannah Furness shared that the newspaper had seen documentation filed in the US that revealed the Archewell name.

“The couple had not planned to launch details of the ‘non-profit’ just yet, emphasizing that they and the world were rightly focusing on the threat posed by coronavirus,” Furness explained.

Prince Harry and Meghan told the Telegraph: “Like you, our focus is on supporting efforts to tackle the global COVID-19 pandemic but faced with this information coming to light, we felt compelled to share the story of how this came to be.”