‘Saved By the Bell’ Reboot: Will Mark-Paul Gosselaar Join After All?

Attention, Bayside! It’s almost time to return to the high school that we spent many years at in the late ’80s and early ’90s, now that there’s officially a Saved By the Bell reboot in the works. But will the star of the show, played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar, return? Here’s what we know so far.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar starred in ‘Saved By the Bell’

Gosselaar was the star of Saved By the Bell, an NBC sitcom that aired for many years. It actually started off as Good Morning, Miss Bliss on the Disney Channel, airing for one season from 1988-1989. The series was then revamped for a more teenage audience, becoming the show we know and (somehow still) love today.

The actor portrayed Zack Morris, a troublemaker with a good heart who was always looking to have fun and get the girl rather than learn anything in school. Gosselaar starred in the original series until 1993, then reprised his role in the brief continuation Saved By the Bell: The College Years, as well as the TV movie special Saved by the Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas.

He has gone on to have a great career in TV

A career-defining role like Zack Morris can be hard to pivot away from. And it took him a few years to find anything that really stuck, but Gosselaar continued to plug away on TV, eventually landing a main role in the final few seasons of NYPD Blue, proving he had dramatic chops.

From there, Gosselaar has gone back and forth between comedy and drama, starring in series like Raising the Bar, Franklin & Bash, and this years’ The Passage. He also had recurring roles in shows such as CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Happy Endings, and Nobodies. Though many of his TV series have only lasted one season, he has had quite a bit of success overall.

Here’s what we know about the ‘Saved by the Bell’ reboot

In the battle of the streaming services, NBC has entered the race. Peacock, named after the mascot of the network, is on its way, and it’s bringing with it a reboot of Saved By the Bell, among many other reboots (yes, this does seem to be a theme when it comes to launching these services).

So far, we know that Mario Lopez (A.C. Slater) and Elizabeth Berkley (Jessie Spano) will return and that Lopez is an executive producer on the project. We also have an official description:

“When California governor Zack Morris (Time out Governor Zack Morris?! Time in!) gets into hot water for closing too many low-income high schools, he proposes they send the affected students to the highest performing schools in the state – including Bayside High. The influx of new students gives the over privileged Bayside kids a much needed and hilarious dose of reality.”

Gosselaar addresses his potential return

Mark-Paul Gosselaar visits "Extra" at Universal Studios Hollywood on January 16, 2019
Mark-Paul Gosselaar visits “Extra” at Universal Studios Hollywood on January 16, 2019 | Noel Vasquez/Getty Images

Wait — it sounds like Gosselaar will be needed, at least for a cameo, right? Well, he’s certainly not opposed. The actor came on Access Daily to speak with Lopez himself, and opened up about where they were in the process.

“I heard there were rumors that they’d finally approached me,” he laughed. Given Lopez’s involvement, Gosselaar put him on the spot. “To be honest, I don’t know if I can afford you,” said the host.

But in all seriousness, “there’s logistics,” said Gosselaar. “I’m on ABC right now, this is NBC. People don’t understand, there’s other things [involved] than just saying, ‘I want to be a part of it.’ We’ve always said we want to work together, we want to do a reboot.” So it looks like we’ll have to see if they can really make it work, at least for an episode or two!