‘The Bachelor’: Chris Soules Finally Opens Up About His Involvement in the 2017 Fatal Car Crash

When you hear stories about former Bachelor and Bachelorettes, they are usually about them finding love or joining some other reality tv show. But in 2017, a Bachelor alum was making headlines for a very different, very tragic reason.

On April 24, 2017, former Bachelor, Chris Soules drove a truck which rear-ended Kenny Mosher’s tractor and killed him. Mosher was 66 at the time.

Because Soules never spoke out about the incident, there were a number of rumors going around about what actually happened, but now the former Bachelor is telling his side of the story.

What happened that day?

The events of that day will forever stay with Soules.

“The trauma of being involved in [the accident] is something I cannot describe,” he told People. “I think about it every day.”

Soules had been working on a broken down planter that day and then in the evening, he drove his truck to pick up one of his workers.

“The next thing you know, I’m coming to inside my pickup,” he told the outlet. “I heard a voice [of a man who had witnessed the accident] saying, ‘Call 911.'”

After calling 911, Soules walked over to an unconscious Mosher, and followed the dispatcher’s instructions to administer CPR.

“I was giving chest compressions and continued to do CPR until eventually, I spat out [Mosher’s] blood,” he said. “He coughed up blood in my mouth. At that point, I thought it didn’t seem to be doing a lot of good. I was scared. And I remember thinking he might not make it.”

After the paramedics arrived, Soules got into a truck that had been driven to the accident by one of his workers and drove home.

“I was out of my mind,” he continued. “I felt like I did everything in my power when I was there and I didn’t know what else to do. I didn’t know what happened. I didn’t know anything. I just knew it was really bad and I was scared.”

On the way home, he called his parents who told him to speak to a lawyer. The attorney told Soules not to talk to the police until he had an attorney with him.

“I just followed his instructions,” Soules continued. “And I wasn’t expecting police at my door. In hindsight, I was charged with a crime. But I really didn’t know that there were grounds for arrest at that point.”

What happened to Soules?

Because he drove home, Soules was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident with a fatality. Later, the felony charge was changed to leaving the scene of an accident causing serious injury, which is an aggravated misdemeanor.

When Soules was initially released, he had to wear an ankle monitor and had a curfew of 11 p.m. every night.

“I saw some dark times,” he told the outlet. “I’m in the middle of nowhere as it is and I was even deeper in the isolation and the guilt. I thought many times that it would have been easier on the other side.”

“I’ll live with [what happened] forever,” says Soules. “But I will carry on, and as a result of the tragedy, do something bigger and better with my life.”