The Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Just Got Some Significant Adjustments Involving Its Release Date and Writer

Basically, when it comes to Star Wars, all main characters are memorable. However, there are a few that just stick out, like Obi-Wan Kenobi. Played by Alec Guinness in the original trilogy and then Ewan McGregor in the prequels, Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the most important figures in Anakin Skywalker’s life, for better or worse. He’s influential in so many ways, and the upcoming series will cover a new Obi-Wan than what audiences have seen so far. It’s had some hiccups but the newest changes show it’s still in production and has a release schedule

Ewan McGregor on 'SUNDAY TODAY WITH WILLIE GEIST,' Feb. 9, 2020.
Ewan McGregor on ‘SUNDAY TODAY WITH WILLIE GEIST,’ Feb. 9, 2020 | Mike Smith/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

The Obi-Wan Kenobi series has a new writer 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, on April 2, Joby Harold was hired as the new writer for the Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ series. Harold is known for his work as executive producer on John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. He most recently co-wrote Army of the Dead, Zack Snyder’s new zombie movie coming to Netflix.

The good news is that this doesn’t change the director that was tied to the series already. Deborah Chow, whose work on The Mandalorian has earned her a favorable spot in the Star Wars community, is still slated as the director on all episodes of the Untitled Obi-Wan Kenobi show. It’s still unclear if it’s going to be an ongoing series or a limited series, but either way, fans are itching for it. 

Star Wars and screenwriters have had a bit of a strenuous battle recently, with the most recent example — The Rise of Skywalker — not being up to par with the rest of the franchise. Colin Trevorrow, director of the new Jurassic World franchise, was originally behind Episode IX and even wrote a script for it. However, he was let go from the project; J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio took over. 

Disney and Lucasfilm also updated the release date

MCU Cosmic reported that the Obi-Wan series has officially been pushed back to 2022, instead of an initial 2021 release date. This comes from a Disney+ France press release, according to the site. But it’s important to note that these dates were allegedly sent out before the new Marvel Cinematic Universe dates were released. So, dates could still change because of ongoing production delays due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

The other Star Wars spinoff series, which revolves around Cassian Andor from Rogue One, is still set to come out in 2021. That show will follow Cassian prior to Rogue One, of course, and show how and why he became a part of the Rebellion and then a Fulcrum operative. 

It’s been a long road for the series, with some even thinking it was canceled at one point

The Obi-Wan series has a new writer because Hossein Amini, the original one, left the project in January. As Variety reported on Jan. 23, production was halted even though McGregor said back in August 2019 they “have all the scripts written.” 

It hasn’t been revealed why Amini left or why his scripts weren’t used, but the new obstacle in January caused many people to think the Obi-Wan series was canceled completely. 

At a Birds of Prey event on Jan. 24, McGregor reassured fans that it’s still happening, and they’re just working on the scripts some more. “It’s not been put on hold. It’s just been pushed back a little bit. Just for scripts,” he said in a video from the Associated Press. “And the scripts are excellent. They just want them to be better. And we just pushed them back.” 

He said the internet was definitely being “very dramatic” but that it’s only a delay. He shared that he was excited, but since then things have been pushed back further and it seems the material rewritten too. But for fans of the masterful Jedi, it should be worth the wait.