Prince Andrew Scandal: U.S. Attorney Wants the Public To Know This About the Royal
Following Prince Andrew‘s disastrous BBC Newsnight interview several organizations cut ties with him, the duke stepped down from his royal duties, and was forced to vacate his office in Buckingham Palace.
During his “car crash” interview, which took place in November, Andrew spoke about his association with the late convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. The prince did not come off as believable and showed no sympathy for Epstein’s alleged victims. There is one positive thing Andrew vowed to do, so far though he has not.
Here’s more on what that is and what else the Duke of York is in danger of losing now.
What Prince Andrew said he was ‘willing’ to do
Journalist Emily Maitlis conducted the interview with Queen Elizabeth’s son and asked him about the accusations brought forth by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who said she was forced to have sexual encounters with Andrew when she was a minor.
The royal denied those allegations but stated that he was “willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations if required.”
What the U.S. attorney has revealed
Although the prince said he was willing to help, that hasn’t happened.
On Jan. 27, 2020 U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman revealed that law enforcement officials, including the FBI, have reached out to Andrew’s legal team in the hopes of interviewing him but have not received any cooperation.
“It’s fair for people to know whether Prince Andrew has followed through with that public commitment,” Berman said, before adding, “To date, Prince Andrew has provided zero cooperation.”
The BBC reported that a number of Epstein’s accusers are “outraged” that the duke has not spoken to authorities yet.
“I’m glad that Geoffrey Berman has gone public to try to embarrass Prince Andrew, who made one statement and then behind closed doors is doing something very different,” said Lisa Bloom who is a lawyer for some of Epstein’s alleged victims. “The five Epstein victims who I represent are outraged and disappointed at Prince Andrew’s behavior here.”
So far the Palace has not commented on the matter.
More fallout for the prince
Andrew has come under fire for his lack of cooperation and now there’s news that he could lose something he’s always had as a member of the royal family.
The fact that Andrew doesn’t have a royal role at this time and may not have one again means he could lose his 24-hour armed security. According to the Evening Standard, the U.K. government ordered a full review of whether Andrew’s security protection should be downgraded.
“A review was ordered into the Met’s protection of HRH The Duke of York once it was announced he was stepping down from royal duties in November,” a senior source told the publication. “Those in charge of royal security cannot write a blank check for anyone who does not have a public role for the foreseeable future. Round-the-clock armed protection is very expensive. The Met is obliged to review the position to ensure it is justified.”
The decision ultimately rests with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.