Michael K. Williams has just revealed that he was cut out of the upcoming Han Solo Star Wars spinoff film, and it’s all because of the movie’s reshoots.
In an interview with Deadline published on Tuesday afternoon, Williams explained that he did not have room in his schedule to participate in reshoots that would have involved his character, and so he was cut out of the film completely.
“When Ron Howard got hired to finish out the film, there were some re-shoot issues that needed to be done in regards to my character, in order for it to match the new direction which the producers wanted Ron to carry the film in,” Williams said. “And that would have required me on a plane a month ago to London, to Pinewood, to do re-shoots.”
Williams went on to say that he has no room in his schedule until after he finishes filming Hap and Leonard in November. But the Star Wars crew couldn’t wait that long, as reshoots are currently underway and the film has a set release date of May 2018. As a result, Lucasfilm was forced to get rid of Williams’ character and cut all of the footage he shot.
Still, Williams said that he had an incredible experience on the movie and that he would be open to returning to the Star Wars universe one day.
“I was a little bothered by it, but I don’t think anything in that galaxy is final, and I don’t think that me not being in the Star Wars family is final,” he said. “I think something will transpire somewhere down the line. I left with a very good taste in my mouth about the whole family, and I hope that I left a good taste in their mouth.”
Michael K. Williams joined the untitled Han Solo movie back in March, as reported by Variety. No details about Williams’ character were ever officially revealed, but he told Deadline today that he was to play a half-human half-animal.
“I wanted to not have him look, feel, sound, or walk like anything I’ve ever done,” Williams said of his Han Solo character. “I had to create something I’ve never seen myself do. I really got to go heavy into the dream assignment.”
The Han Solo Star Wars spinoff film was originally going to be directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. But they were removed from the project in June, reportedly because Lord and Miller were making heavy use of improvisation when Lucasfilm wanted them to stick to the script. This firing was rather surprising considering the film had been in production for months and filming was almost complete. The two directors were replaced by Ron Howard, and he soon got to work on reshoots, which are still underway.
Solo: A Star Wars Story stars Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, and Woody Harrelson. It will hit theaters on May 25th, 2018.