Will Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Delay Megxit Amid Prince Charles Health Concerns?

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s exit from the royal family becomes official in a few days. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are scheduled to step down as active members of the royal family on March 31. But Prince Charles’ recent contraction of the Coronavirus might delay their exit as the royals do their best to present a sense of unity to the public.

Meghan Markle Prince Harry
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry | Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle eye exit

After announcing their plan to leave the monarchy in January, Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, have spent the past few months ironing out the details of their complicated exit.

Last month, the royal family announced that the couple will be officially stepping down starting March 31. At that time, they will stop using their royal titles and will be splitting their time between the UK and North America (likely landing spots include Canada, Los Angeles, and New York City).

Apart from his HRH styles, Prince Harry will not be using any of his military ranks over the next year. He will also not be allowed to fulfill any duties related to these responsibilities.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex completed their final round of royal engagements at the beginning of the month. Their last joint appearance was during the Commonwealth Day service, which also featured Queen Elizabeth, Charles, Camilla Parker Bowles, Prince William, and Kate Middleton.

Prince Harry and Meghan’s decision will be reviewed in 12 months and adjustments will be made accordingly. Although the pair was ready to start a quieter life away from the royal spotlight, the coronavirus pandemic has made their exit a little more complicated.

Prince Charles tests positive for COVID-19

Governments around the world are doing their best to contain the spread of COVID-19, encouraging the public to remain at home unless essential outings are necessary.

Last week, the royal family announced that it is also taking precautions against the outbreak. The senior members of the monarchy have canceled future events for the next month and are currently in self-isolation.

Queen Elizabeth has officially left Buckingham Palace and is currently at Windsor Castle with her husband, Prince Philip. Charles, meanwhile, is at his estate in Scotland with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Unfortunately, Charles has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, though palace officials assured the public that he is currently in good health. The news has left fans worried about Charles’ health and has sparked speculation that Prince Harry and Meghan might delay their exit until Charles recovers.

Will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry delay their exit?

Meghan and Harry have not addressed the reports surrounding Charles. There have been calls for the Sussexes to put off their exit as a sign of unity, and their silence has left many people wondering if the reports are true.

While we wait to hear what Prince Harry and Meghan Markle say about their exit, a new poll reveals that most people believe they should follow through with Megxit despite the coronavirus pandemic.

According to Express, over 93 percent of people who answered the poll said that Harry and Meghan should not delay their exit any longer. Over 4,500 individuals participated in the poll and only six percent thought they should stay in the monarchy.

One said: “At this time, their presence would only anger the public more in an already tense and anxious time! We don’t need or want to see them – clearly as the poll shows! Keep away!!”

Meghan Markle might take on a new surname

If Meghan and harry follow through with their exit plan, there is a chance that the former Suits star will take on a new surname. Meghan is known as the Duchess of Sussex, but she could take on the last name that Queen Elizabeth and Philip selected for their descendants.

Most members of the royal family use their titles as surnames, but Meghan has the option of using the last name she gave her son: Mountbatten-Windsor.

Meghan welcomed her first son with Prince Harry, Archie Harrison, in the spring of 2019. The couple decided against giving him a royal title, which is why he carries the royal family’s surname instead.

Meghan Markle, of course, has not commented on her future plans regarding her royal title. She and Prince Harry are allowed to continue using Sussex in public, so it is unclear if she will waver from that name.