Why Men Need Manicures (and 7 of the Best Places to Go)
If you think getting a manicure is only for women, you’re wrong. Men need to have their hands properly cared for just as much as the ladies. We’re not talking about gel manicures and French tips; just a neat, trim appearance. Proper nail and hand care is essential in order to achieve a polished look. Whether they say it or not, people do notice your hands, so it’s important to make sure they are always presentable. A trip to the nail salon could not only alert you to underlying health issues that may be brewing but also prompt you to put an end to pesky habits.
“Technicians are trained to recognize possible fungus and other infections within the nails, feet, and hands and will advise (not treat) to see a medical professional. It can also help in aiding nail biters and people who habitually pick at their nails and cuticles to kick the habit,” Dr. David E. Bank, board certified dermatologist, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, and founder and director of The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery, told The Cheat Sheet.
One man who understands the importance of well-groomed hands is classical guitarist Steve Newbrough. His digits are always on display, so he makes sure to take good care of them.
“Walking through life, we bang and scrape our hands on things all the time without thinking about it: Refrigerator doors, zippers, car doors, door knobs, and countless other things can wreak havoc on hands and nails in particular. All of those things create small to large scrapes and chips in the nail. This is why filing nails is important, especially for guitarists,” said Newbrough.
Newbrough also takes care of his nails for practical reasons. “Early in my guitar training I learned that the left hand nails needed to be short or else they get in the way. You can’t push down a string if your fingernail is gouging the fret board… If the player doesn’t file his or her nails regularly the guitar won’t sound good,” said Newbrough.
Hand maintenance also says a lot about how you care for the rest of your body. Depending on the situation, unkempt nails can be a big turn-off and may even cause you to miss an opportunity.
“Grooming extends past the face and shaving all the way to head-to-toe maintenance. Depending on the industry a man is in, his hands may be on display and a well-kept appearance may make or break deals that lead to long-lasting personal and business relationships. For men who are not in an industry where their hands are on display, it is still important to care for your skin and nails as they are indicators of overall health in attracting a mate and overall bodily health,” said Grant Harris, owner and chief style consultant at Image Granted.
If you’re still not comfortable with the idea of going to a nail salon, have no fear. There are several salons that cater specifically to men and a few that are “male friendly.” Here are seven great suggestions to help you get started.
1. Hand Job Nails and Spa
- Location: 565 Castro Street, San Francisco, California
- Featured services: Gun oil hand job (manicure), deluxe “foot fetish” pedicure, and a million-dollar hand job (manicure, pedicure, and facial performed by three technicians).
- Website: www.handjobspa.com
2. Hammer & Nails
- Location: 8257 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, California
- Featured services: Hand and foot maintenance combo, hand and foot repair combo, and the Big Daddy aromatherapy experience.
- Website: www.hammerandnails-salon.com
3. American Male
- Locations: Las Vegas, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. See website for details.
- Featured services: Hand detailing, 10-minute massage, executive facial, and clarifying back treatment.
- Website: www.americanmale.com
4. The Boardroom Salon for Men
- Locations: Located in Tennessee and throughout Texas; see website for details.
- Featured services: Hand grooming (available with paraffin dip), foot grooming, and brow and body waxing. All services come with a complimentary beverage.
- Website: http://boardroomsalon.com/
5. Shizuka New York Men’s Spa
- Location: 7 West 51st St., 6th Floor, New York, New York
- Featured services: Basic manicure and pedicure, facials, and massage therapy.
- Website: http://shizukany.com/services/mens-spa/
6. Milk + Honey
- Locations: Texas and Boston; see website for details.
- Featured services: Manly manicure, manly pedicure, sports massage, and facial.
- Website: http://milkandhoneyspa.com/treatments/for-men/
7. The Grooming Lounge
- Locations: Washington, D.C., and Virginia. See website for details.
- Featured services: Business manicure, foot treatment, and anti-aging facial.
- Website: www.groominglounge.com