8 Ways to Tell If You and Your Partner Are Going to Last

Source: Thinkstock

Falling in love is easy, but staying in love and determining if your partner is the one is a daunting task, especially since the odds are stacked against you. It’s a common belief that most of the relationships that you enter into won’t result in a long-term union. Sometimes lasting love can be a numbers game.

Marriage expert Hellen Chen gave a number to this inevitable death during a recent lecture when she asserted that 85% of relationships end in a breakup. The remaining 15% are classified as the few elite relationships that are likely to end in marriage. But it isn’t always happily ever after: 40% to 50% of marriages end in divorce. To add more numbers into the mix, a study conducted by eHarmony found that most people will or should date about 12 people before getting married.

Although there is no scientific evidence to back that number up, it still leaves you wondering: How do you know if your significant other is “the one”? The Cheat Sheet is here to help. Here are eight signs that you and your partner may be in it for the long haul.

1. You love your partner

This is one of the easiest ways to spot if you’re in the right relationship. You know that you truly love your partner.

2. You’re willing to risk heartbreak

You’ve put your heart on the line for this person. You express your true self and you’re vulnerable. You know you’re putting your heart at risk — and you’re OK with it.

3. You can tell them anything

If something is bothering you, you can tell your partner without fear of possible repercussions. Additionally, no topic is off-limits for the both of you because you want to be open and honest with each other about everything. Secrets can damage relationships, and you recognize that.

4. Your partner supports you in all of your endeavors

Source: iStock

Source: iStock

No matter how silly your dreams may be, your significant other will stand by and support you no matter what. You also give your partner the same courtesy and encouragement with his or her dreams and aspirations.

5. You argue

This seems negative, but it is in fact a sign that you’re on the right track in your relationship — as long as you’re not having the same arguments over and over again. A study on married couples, conducted in India, found that 44% of pairs believe that fighting “helps keep the lines of communication open,” as reported in the Daily Mail.

The study, which was conducted by the relationship site Shaadi.com and market research agency IMRB, discovered that these findings echoed those from Western countries, pointing out that fighting and addressing problems constructively through arguing gives way to a more stress-free relationship.

6. You don’t lose yourself

Sometimes, when people enter into a relationship they tend to become so enthralled by their partner that they lose sight of themselves and cut themselves off from friends and family. It’s not on purpose, but their lives become all about their partner, which is not healthy. You should be able to maintain a sense of self with your partner and not lose track of the people and things that are important to you outside your relationship.

7. You feel like a different person

Hiking, exercise, couple

Source: iStock

You feel like a better human being. Your partner makes you want to be a better person, and you bring out the best in each other. You’re proud to be with your significant other, and you feel confident about the relationship overall.

8. You respect the people she’s close to and vice versa

You want to meet your partner’s family, friends, and whoever else is important to him or her. You don’t feel threatened by those relationships, and you are happy to embrace these people with open arms.

More from Health & Fitness Cheat Sheet: