7 Household Products Just as Toxic as Tide Pods If You Decide to Eat Them

Teens on the internet are taking a dangerous joke a little too far. Tide Pods might look appetizing, but eating them could definitely kill you.

Laundry detergent — no matter how you package it — isn’t the only toxic household product that isn’t safe to eat, even if it looks otherwise. Do your very best to keep things things as far away from your mouth — and the mouths of all tiny humans and furry friends — as physically possible.

1. Batteries

close up of batteries

Having batteries on hand, but don’t put them in your mouth. | iStock/Getty Images

Not all batteries are large enough to make them difficult to swallow. Small, disk-shaped batteries now power many modern electronics. Most cases of swallowed batteries occur in children, but sometimes adults either knowingly or accidentally swallow them, too.

Ingesting a battery can cause vomiting, fever, rashes, and even trouble breathing and suffocation if the airway becomes blocked.

Next: It smells lovely, but please don’t tempt fate.

2. Dish soap

sponge

Don’t try swallowing this stuff. | iStock/Getty Images

If you’re washing dishes and start to get a little hungry, consult your fridge, not a bottle of dish soap. It comes in a variety of colors and scents, but it’s not for drinking.

Swallowing too much dish or other types of soap could result in a swollen tongue and throat, violent vomiting, or a sharp drop in blood pressure and heart rate. In some cases, the pH of your blood could even change, an extremely life-threatening issue.

Next: Both children and adults sometimes fight the temptation to put brightly colored things in their mouths.

3. Nail polish

Nail polish colorful bottles

Keep the polish on your nails only. | AndreaAstes/iStock/Getty Images

Some people love the smell of nail polish and nail polish remover. You already know it’s not OK to sniff these things. It’s also strongly recommended that you do not eat them.

There are a handful of poisonous ingredients in most nail polish brands that can land you in the hospital if you aren’t careful. Don’t inhale or ingest these chemicals if you want to avoid the ER. The good news is, kid-friendly nail polish exists, if you need it.

Next: It’s not Gatorade.

4. Windex

This cleaner should be used for that purpose only.| Mariana-Rusanovschi/iStock/Getty Images Plus

Everyone knows blue Gatorade is the best Gatorade. But blue-colored drinks and Windex do not react with your insides in quite the same way.

Drinking Windex and similar glass and household cleaners may cause a burning sensation in the eyes, nose, and throat. In large amounts, severe abdominal pain and vomiting, life-threatening nervous system malfunctions, and low blood pressure may also occur.

Next: Sometimes it gets in your mouth on accident, but don’t swallow it.

5. Shampoo

Make sure to keep your mouth closed in the shower. | iStock/Getty Images

We’ve all experienced the unbearable pain that results from accidentally getting shampoo in our eyes. Sometimes it finds its way into your mouth, too, but do your best not to swallow it.

Swallowing too much shampoo will cause unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting. The severity of these symptoms depends on a person’s age and size, though. Untreated, the resulting dehydration could become life-threatening.

Next: Keep this in your garage where it belongs.

6. Antifreeze

Mechanic repairing a car

This fluid could be deadly if ingested. | Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

You probably have a container of antifreeze hanging around just in case of car trouble. This is another common collection of chemicals not meant for human consumption.

Drinking even a small amount of antifreeze could cause a wide variety of mild to severe symptoms. Many people have trouble breathing, become dizzy, and experience muscle spasms and seizures.

Next: Keep this in a hard-to-reach place with all other cleaning supplies.

7. Toilet bowl cleaner

baby pulling toilet paper

Keep the cleaner out of reach of children. | iStock.com/markcarper

It might be tempting to store your toilet bowl cleaner underneath your bathroom sink for easy access. Remember that ‘easy access’ applies not just to you, but any nearby small children as well.

One of the most severe consequences of drinking chemicals like this occurs in your blood. If your blood becomes too acidic — a major shift in its pH — you could face organ failure. There’s no guarantee the result will be that severe, but don’t take your chances.

Follow The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!