How to Make Your Online Dating Profile Stand Out
If you’ve decided to try online dating, you might be unsure of how to make sure you meet quality people. There’s a lot of competition out there, so it’s important for your profile to make a good first impression. A recent survey conducted by Match found the Sunday after the fourth of July is online dating’s hottest day of the summer. This is based on the company’s historical data and site activity. On this day, Match estimates there will be a 20% increase in activity compared to Valentine’s Day.
The Cheat Sheet spoke to Bela Gandhi, Match dating expert and founder of Smart Dating Academy, for some tips on how to make your online dating profile stand out. Here’s what she had to say.
The Cheat Sheet: Why is July 8th so popular for online dating?
Bela Gandhi: After the July 4th holiday and being around family and friends, it really makes us start thinking about getting into a relationship. Forget about summer flings. Everyone is at his or her best in the summer so now is a better time than ever for singles to get out there and start searching for a relationship.
CS: What are some do’s and don’ts when dating online?
BG: It’s important to have a dating plan to set yourself up for success. Give yourself a timeline for when you will be checking the app and how many messages you will send to someone. Set a plan and make sure you stick to it! On the flip side, don’t get caught up in a textual relationship. Chat for a bit to develop some chemistry, but then get to the date and meet in person.
CS: What should you do if no one answers your profile?
BG: Now is a great time to freshen up your profile to get ready for the busiest day of online dating! Here are some simple tips to keep in mind:
- Refresh your photos. Have four to six great photos of yourself where you look happy and approachable. Don’t forget to have a great opening head shot and body shots as well.
- Be positive and current in your profile! Offer up interesting tidbits about yourself that help you to stand out against millions of other singles online.
- Brighten up your dating mindset. Check your profile every day. Be proactive in reaching out to others. And respond to people in a timely manner. The game of love moves fast!
Match also surveyed people to find their top summer bucket list items. Here’s the breakdown by state.
Most Popular Summer Bucket List Item in Each State:
- Attend a world championship game: Delaware, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Tennessee
- Get to an ideal weight: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Go on a wine tour in Napa: Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York
- Learn how to salsa dance: California, Maryland, New Mexico, Texas, Virginia, Washington
- Go skydiving: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming
- Go white water rafting: Arizona, Kentucky, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont
- Learn a musical instrument: Hawaii, Oregon, Utah
- Scuba dive: Kansas, Montana
- Go whale watching: Minnesota, Michigan
- Swim with dolphins: Pennsylvania, South Carolina
- Travel to all states: West Virginia
- Climb a mountain: Oklahoma
- Go on a safari: District of Columbia
- Go on a road trip: Maine
Follow The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!