Fit Celebrities Swear by These 7 Tips to Stay in Shape
Celebrities are constantly juggling busy work schedules, but they’re always conscious about staying slim and in shape for every event they attend. They’re keen about eating healthy and maintaining an active lifestyle to remain red-carpet ready. Even when on vacation, A-listers manage to stay svelte. Want to know how they do it? Check out these seven things fit celebrities do to stay in shape.
1. They make time to work out
Nutritional biochemist, Shawn M. Talbott, told The Huffington Post weight loss is 75% about a healthy diet and 25% about exercise. With busy schedules, celebrities don’t always have the time to work out, but they improvise to squeeze in a session whenever they can. Supermodel Gisele Bündchen works out in her hotel room using resistance bands, and David Beckham has no problem hitting a boxing class when he’s with the kids. Making time for a short sweat session whenever possible is also great for keeping a clear mind during a busy day.
2. They do interval training
Since celebrities don’t always have the time to work out daily, they aim to maximize their results by opting for intense bouts of exercise. Harley Pasternak, a Los Angeles trainer who has worked with celebrities like Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Kanye West, tells ABC News he uses high-intensity circuits that are short in time, but effective in boosting metabolism and toning muscles. They’re quick and torch fat by working your heart rate to its maximum. These workouts can even continue to burn calories after the session is over.
3. They do well-rounded workouts
Cardio is great for aerobic fitness and lifting weights is essential for building muscle, but neither is enough on its own. Celebrities usually combine both forms of exercise when they train. Carrie Underwood is a proponent, telling Women’s Health she mixes both cardio and resistance training whenever she can. Her cardio exercises are anything from sprints to boxing to jumping rope, and she incorporates weights and bodyweight exercises for resistance. Some celebrities also like to take spin classes, train with boxing, and work their muscles with CrossFit.
4. They practice yoga
Celebrities love yoga because it’s known to connect our minds with our bodies, working your muscles at the same time. In fact, it may be just as effective for building strength as anything at the gym. When you practice yoga, you are learning how to lift your own weight and balance your body. You also practice proper breathing techniques with each exercise and build muscle endurance over time. Yoga is also great for weight loss, preventing injury, reducing stress, and improving sleep. It’s no wonder celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Biel, Adam Levine, and Sting all practice this exercise.
5. They get outside when they can
Exercising outside has more benefits than just the fresh air. It’s also a way to de-stress, build self-esteem, and lift your mood. While you might think celebrities prefer to work out indoors to get their privacy, this really isn’t the case. Ashley Greene likes to surf and hike, Naomi Watts enjoys running, and Mark Wahlberg likes to tee up for a round of golf.
6. They switch things up
It’s easy to fall into a rut if you’re doing the same thing day in and day out. That’s probably why celebrities play around with their diets and exercise routines. You’ll notice they’re always leaving different fitness studios, eating at a variety of restaurants, trying new diet trends. Keeping exercise exciting makes it easier to stay on track with your goals because you’re never bored. Fitness trainer Jackie Warner told Glamour our bodies adjust to workout routines in six weeks. To continue building strength and working your muscles, it’s important to make changes, even small ones, to keep your muscles guessing.
7. They’re mindful of what they eat
Because they’re always busy and usually on the go, celebs fuel their bodies with wholesome foods that will give them the energy that they need through the day. According to Well+Good, many stars like to follow an 80/20 diet. The idea is they consume nutrient-rich foods (think vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates) 80% of the time, and allow themselves whatever they’re craving the other 20% of the time. The best part about this way of eating, is that nothing is off limits. It’s about moderation. This creates a sustainable lifestyle that allows for balance, optimal health, and enjoyment. Followers include Jillian Michaels, Kate Bosworth, and couple Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen. It’s no wonder they’re all so in shape.