10 Fall Pizza Recipes: Savor Seasonal Tastes
The bracing temperatures of fall give way to a bounty of produce, offering endless opportunities for creating seasonal pizzas at home. With just a little inspiration, you can try baking up an autumnal pizza of your own using the remarkable flavors of apples, pears, squash, pumpkin, and kale, among other ingredients.
Next time you’re thinking of ordering delivery, put down the phone and instead try one of these 10 creative fall pizza recipes.
1. The Pioneer Woman’s Fig-Prosciutto Pizza With Arugula combines the peppery taste of arugula with a sweet fig spread, a tandem that beautifully balances the salty taste of thinly sliced prosciutto. To achieve a thin crust-style pizza, she opts to use just ⅓ of the crust produced from her homemade dough recipe. Feel free to use that extra dough to make more pizza — you can never have too much!
2. Sweet potato and kale come together with a tangy balsamic drizzle in this recipe from Jessica in the Kitchen. “The balsamic drizzle adds a welcoming flavour contrast to all the flavours currently on the pizza and … cannot be left out,” she notes. The slight bitterness of the kale plays off the sweet potato here, but that balsamic is what truly makes the dish outstanding.
3. Bakes In Slippers offers a brilliant change of pace with this Apple and Goat Cheese With Mustard Pizza. You can opt for Dijon or stone-ground mustard, either of which will lend the dish a marvelous zip. This is balanced delicately by the bittersweet combination of arugula and honey.
4. Get the most of your pears this season by enjoying them on an elegant Pear, Rosemary, and Blue Cheese Pizza from Port and Fin. Combine these sweet fruits with the sharp flavor of blue cheese and a refined touch of rosemary. Perfect the unique texture of this sophisticated dish with a handful of crunchy, seasonal walnuts on top.
5. The First Mess isn’t quite sure if this Grilled Butternut Squash Pizza With Lemony Radicchio Slaw is a pizza or a flatbread, so we’ll settle on calling it a delicious hybrid of the two. “I used roasted butternut squash and garlic mash as the ‘sauce’ and this genius recipe as inspiration for the dough that doesn’t even require rising time,” she explains. Feel free to use your preferred greens in place of the radicchio — and if you aren’t inclined to break out the grill, simply bake it in the oven (directions included on blog).
6. Spice things up (literally) with this Sunchoke, Plum Chutney, and Kale Pizza from Pizza Tuesdays, which incorporates a mix of eight distinctive spices into its topping. These flavors are nicely offset by mild artichokes and heart-healthy kale. A dash of candied almonds adds a sweet, memorable touch to finish the dish.
7. Looking for more ways to work Brussels sprouts into your harvest season fare? Look no further than Girl Makes Food’s Barbecue, Cheddar, and Brussels Sprouts Pizza. She notes that not only are these cold-weather vegetables delicious, but also “strongly anti-inflammatory, and full of healthy antioxidants. They are a good source of iron, and a very good source of vitamins A, C, and B6.”
8. This Sage Pesto, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Squash Pizza from Epicurious offers a variety of robust flavors. Cooks have the opportunity to get creative by adding soft bits of pancetta or bacon as well. The pizza’s most exceptional quality is the sage-pesto base, which is flavored with sage, nutmeg, and walnuts.
9. “There’s something about creamy pumpkin mixed with gooey Gruyere cheese that makes the world seem brighter,” writes Climbing Grier Mountain. Expand your culinary horizons with her Pumpkin Naan Pizza with Gruyere and Fresh Herbs, a dish that uses traditional Indian naan bread in place of pizza dough. Sweet pumpkin is complemented by notes of sage, rosemary, and thyme in this delicate offering.
10. Half Baked Harvest’s Sweet and Spicy Squash Pizza With Caramelized Onions and Bacon is a comforting addition to any dinner table this season. It’s a pizza unlike any other you’ve tried, incorporating the zesty flavors of chipotle chili, cumin, cinnamin, and chili powder for a kick your friends and family will love.