12 Pizza, Calzone, and Stromboli Dishes Football Fans Will Love
There are few football fans who will turn down a home-cooked dish, and that especially goes for a dish drawing from cheesy (and sometimes meaty) Italian inspirations. These mouthwatering pizzas, calzones, and stromboli are a perfect party solution for game day. Simple pop them in the oven before kickoff and serve up a treat that all your guests will love.
We’ve collected 12 jaw-droppingly good pizza, calzone, and stromboli recipes here that friends and family will go crazy for — football fans or not!
1. “Pizza is good any day, but don’t you think it tastes even better on game day?” asks Two Peas And Their Pod. We couldn’t agree more! Your guests will go crazy for this Spicy Pepperoni Pizza With Caramelized Onions at your game day festivities. With a homemade dough and sauce cooked from scratch, this pizza topped with mozzarella, pepperoni, and hot sauce is a fresh and fiery delight.
2. Food Network’s thick-crusted Sicilian Sausage and Pepper Pizza will satisfy even the most voracious football fan you know. The dish is topped with crushed tomato, sweet Italian sausage, green bell pepper, and a generous portion of mozzarella. Red pepper flakes give the pie a final punch.
3. Pip and Ebby whips up a tantalizing Veggie Cheese Stromboli consisting of olives, sundried tomatoes, provolone, spinach, and peppers all wrapped up into one Italian masterpiece. This easy-to-make vegetarian dish takes just 50 minutes to make and yields 12 full servings.
4. It just wouldn’t be a football party without some buffalo chicken, now would it? Yes To Yolks offers up an amazing recipe for Buffalo Chicken Calzones: The inside is tender and gooey, and the dough reaches a beautiful consistency in the oven. “The dough puffs up around the filling, staying crispy on the outside and light and doughy on the inside,” blogger Molly Reilly observes.
5. Beyond Kimchee’s Classic Italian Stromboli is loaded with flavor, filled to the brim with ham, salami, and pepperoni. On top of that, it’ll come out of your oven with gooey mozzarella and provolone cheeses oozing irresistibly out of its sides. Recipe takes just 40 minutes to complete and yields 4-6 servings. Dig in!
6. “Tangy artichoke hearts, smoky roasted red peppers, and bold kalamata olives mingle with a cheese-melty feta-ricotta mix,” in Oh My Veggies’ delightfully crisped Mediterranean Veggie Calzone. You’ll send your guests on a trip to the Greek Isles with the piquant flavors loaded into this totally vegetarian-friendly dish. Conveniently, the calzone takes just about 40 minutes to complete, yielding 6 hearty servings.
7. “This stromboli is the the perfect combo of pizza and cheese steak. It’s packed with thinly sliced steak, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, an cheese of course,” says Brunchtime Baker. This flavorful mix of ingredients is wonderful enough on its own, but for added flavor, try dipping your Steak and Cheese Stromboli in ranch dressing or marinara sauce.
8. Milk and Honey’s Sausage and Three-Cheese Calzone is satiating enough to fill up a whole pack of football fans. Gooey mozzarella mixes with Parmesan and airy ricotta to lend the dish its cheesy bent, balanced beautifully with the flavors of chili flakes, oregano, and pork sausages.
9. The distinctive flavors of broccoli rabe (a relative of the turnip family, contrary to what its name suggests) and bold prosciutto are united in this Broccoli Rabe and Prosciutto Stromboli from Parsley Sage Sweet. We’d be remiss not to mention cheese here, because this stromboli has it in spades: gooey mozzarella, mild provolone, and Asiago (or another Italian hard cheese of your choosing). “You should have seen all the cheesy goo dripping with each slice when I first cut it open,” Parsley Sage Sweet writes. Sounds like a winner in our book!
10. If Lady With Pups’ description of her Eggplant Parmesan Pizza isn’t enough to convince you of its deliciousness, we’re not sure anything could. Blogger Mandy Lee writes: “Paper-thin slices of eggplants pre-toasted under an airy web of grated Parmigiano cheese until curly crispy and golden browned, scattered in between two layers of tangy tomato sauce and bubbling mozzarella cheese.” This recipe seamlessly transforms a simple eggplant parmesan casserole into a remarkable and inspired vegetarian pizza. Crispy, briny fried capers accent the dish perfectly.
11. Chef Mario Batali packs meatballs, brisket, and pancetta in this flavor extravaganza, all inside a single calzone. Batali, who shares his recipe for the best-ever Meat Lover’s Calzone with ABC’s The Chew, uses garlic and marjoram to further highlight the variety of flavors of the dish. Recipe yields 8 servings.
12. Throw a little Korean flavor into your weekend celebrations with this Korean BBQ Chicken Pizza from Little Spice Jar. “This Korean BBQ Chicken Pizza has a nice, thick crust thats topped with chicken that’s been drenched in Korean BBQ sauce, red onions, cilantro, scallions, and tons of melty mozzarella cheese,” blogger Marzia Aziz writes. Try adding red pepper flakes for an extra-hot touch!