Is your bread in need of a flavor makeover? If so, creating a tasty spread may be just what you need to help spice up your loaf. Basil-tomato cheese, lemon-pepper ricotta, and butternut squash are just a few of the rich and creamy spreads that can help liven up your favorite breads, bagels, and biscuits. You won’t want to go back to eating bread without a tasty spread after trying these 7 easy recipes.
1. Basil-Tomato Cheese Spread
Honest Cooking‘s recipe is a spread that is guaranteed to appeal to those who relish the delicious taste of cheese. The rich, creamy bread topping is made even better thanks to the sun-dried tomatoes and tasty basil.
- 8 fresh leaves of basil, washed and drained
- 3 cloves of garlic, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 handful of pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons (⅛ cup) of extra virgin olive oil
- 9 ounces (250 grams) of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 6 pieces of sun-dried tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Toast the pine nuts in a dry saucepan for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Put them into the mixer alone with garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil; blend. Next, cut the tomatoes into small pieces, chop the basil, and add cream cheese to the mix, blending until everything is evenly mixed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cream Cheese and Parmesan Bread Spread
AllRecipes.com’s spread is a perfect topping for both bread and crackers. A hearty loaf of bread with this cream cheese and Parmesan bread spread creates a perfect side to a pasta dinner.
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
Directions: Mix the butter, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a bowl until evenly blended.
3. Artichoke and Goat Cheese Spread
You are in for a treat with Food Network‘s recipe, which calls for artichoke hearts, goat cheese, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, bell pepper, and plenty of tasty seasonings. You can prepare this spread, which yields 3 cups, up to 2 days in advance for easy, effortless serving.
- 1 can artichoke hearts, well-drained
- 1 pound mild soft goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¾ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ roasted red bell pepper or pimiento
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions: In a food processor, add the artichoke hearts, goat cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, roasted bell pepper, parsley, chives, basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Place in a nonreactive bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 days in advance.
4. Lemon-Pepper Ricotta Spread
Rachael Ray‘s recipe creates a perfect spread for any baguette. It yields 4 to 6 servings and calls for ricotta cheese, cream cheese, lemon, fresh thyme, garlic, and pepper, ensuring your bread has a light and flavorful kick to it.
- 12 rounds sliced baguette or 8 larger rounds semolina bread
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup softened cream cheese
- 1 lemon
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
Directions: Gently squeeze liquid from ricotta in paper towels. Combine the ricotta with cream cheese in food processor and add the zest and juice of 1 lemon, thyme, garlic, and pepper. Process until smooth and transfer to a serving dish.
5. Spinach-Walnut Pesto Cream Cheese Spread
Perfect as a spread for bagels, toast, or bread, Instructables’ recipe is a vitamin and antioxidant-packed spread that’s filled with spinach, walnuts, garlic, and cheese. You won’t be able to go back to using basic cream cheese after preparing this nutritious and cheesy concoction.
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup walnut halves or pieces
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Olive oil, approximately ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- 4 ounce cream cheese
Directions: Roughly chop one garlic clove. In a food processor, add spinach, walnuts, garlic, and Parmesan, and pulse until walnuts are roughly chopped. Turn food processor on and stream in olive oil until pesto comes together to form a paste like consistency. Add salt to taste. Makes approximately one cup of pesto. In a small bowl, combine 4 ounces cream cheese and ¼ cup of pesto, and mix well. Spread pesto cream cheese on your favorite bagel, toast, or bread.
6. Strawberry Butter
Echoes of Laughter‘s simple, 5-minute recipe is the perfect way to sweeten up your biscuits and bread. Just 3 ingredients will quickly get you on your way to enjoying a fresh-tasting strawberry spread.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Directions: Place all 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using a mixer, mix until the butter is smooth. If too soft, add more icing sugar until it reaches a spreadable consistency. To store, scoop strawberry butter into bowl. Cover and store in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before spreading on the bread of your choice.
7. Butternut Squash Spread
This rich and flavorful spread will liven up any bread or biscuits you may have on hand. Outpost‘s recipe, which yields 6 to 8 servings, calls for tasty ingredients such as butternut squash, maple syrup butter, cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg.
- 1 large butternut squash
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 ounces maple syrup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and cube squash into 1 inch pieces. Generously oil, sea salt, and pepper the squash and evenly layer in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with a bunch of fresh thyme sprigs. Roast for about 40 minutes. When finished roasting, remove thyme sprigs, and let cool for 15 minutes. Place squash in food processor. Add maple butter, cream cheese, extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!