Easy Breakfast Sandwich Recipes That Taste Fantastic
Much to your waistline’s chagrin, McDonald’s has definitely mastered the breakfast sandwich. But the good news is that you can, too — and you can even make it healthy. Sometimes fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and cereal just don’t cut it for your morning meal, and that’s where two pieces of bread (or bagel) and a satisfying filling come in. Whether you routinely crave savory or sweet for breakfast, you’re sure to find an a.m. sandwich on this list that will catch your eye. These breakfast recipes from around the web don’t require a lot of time, nor more than a handful of ingredients, and they promise to wake you up in the morning.
1. Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
First up is the classic bacon egg and cheese bagel sandwich with a sophisticated spin from Martha Stewart. As long as you have your bagel of choice, some eggs, cheese, and bacon, you can perfect the breakfast that you’d already be handing over money for at your favorite street vendor or fast food location. Do yourself a favor and make this sandwich yourself instead of pulling out your wallet first thing in the morning.
- 1 everything bagel or other bagel of choice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for buttering bagel
- 2 large eggs
- 1 thin slice cheese, such as American or cheddar
- 2 to 3 slices cooked bacon
- Hot sauce and/or ketchup, for serving
Head to Martha Stewart for the full recipe.
2. Pesto, Mozzarella, and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
Next up is this pesto, egg, and mozzarella breakfast sandwich from Eating Well. Eating healthy and vegetarian never tasted so good. Just in case you want to forego your meat in the morning in an effort to stay healthy, check out this sophisticated riff on the breakfast sandwich and make your co-workers (or family members) jealous.
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared pesto
- 1 thin slice mozzarella cheese
Head to Eating Well for the full recipe.
3. Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich With Mango Chutney
Moving back to the meat, we come to this ham and cheese breakfast sandwich with mango chutney from Cooking Light. This recipe takes the iconic breakfast sandwich for a spin and gives it a sweet kick with the mango chutney. The combination of sweet and savory might make you skeptical at first, but believe it or not, it’s that salty-sweet contrast that will only keep you coming back for more. Make this recipe next time the craving strikes. You won’t regret it.
- Cooking spray
- 8 (½ ounce) slices soy ham or Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 4 whole-grain English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 teaspoons mango chutney
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Head to MyRecipes for the full recipe by Cooking Light.
4. Savory Cheddar Waffle BLT With Egg
Switching things up a bit, we have this waffle BLT Sandwich from Chowhound at our No. 4 spot. We promise combining breakfast staples will knock your morning out of the park. Pull out your waffle iron and get going. Waffles aren’t only made to be combined with butter and syrup anymore — they now serve a variety of sweet and savory purposes, too, and one of those entails acting as a vehicle for your eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese. One word: Yum. Serve these to your house guests one slow Saturday morning and they won’t know what hit them.
- 12 thick-cut bacon slices (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, as needed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Irish cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces), such as Dubliner
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (¼ stick)
- 6 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
- 12 romaine lettuce leaves
Head to Chowhound for the full recipe.
5. Microwave Egg and Vegetable Breakfast Sandwich
Don’t have time to whip up waffles in the morning? Make this easy microwave egg and vegetable sandwich recipe from Foodie Crush instead. This breakfast might be simpler than No. 4 on our list, but it’ll still squash your a.m. sandwich craving and start your morning off on a healthy note. Whether you take Foodie Crush’s advice and go the bagel thin route or toast up a full bagel, just make sure you don’t forget your avocado and hot sauce. It’s a match made in foodie heaven.
- 1 everything bagel (or bagel thin)
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 10 to 15 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 wedge reduced-fat garlic and herb spreadable cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 to 4 slices avocado
- Kosher salt
- Hot sauce
Head to Foodie Crush for the full recipe.
6. Egg Florentine Breakfast Sandwich
Last but not least: This egg florentine breakfast sandwich from Delish. Your mornings just got a lot more fancy. Sorry, McDonald’s. Coming together in just 5 minutes and only requiring a handful of ingredients, you have no reason not to whip up your own breakfast sandwich that stars Canadian bacon, an English muffin, some spinach and, of course, your egg. You’ll feel good after you feed your body this wholesome sandwich for your morning meal, and maybe you’ll never subject yourself to the Golden Arches drive-thru ever again.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces (2 cups) baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 ounce sliced Canadian bacon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 English muffin, split and lightly toasted
- 1 large egg
Head to Delish for the full recipe.