Tubes of biscuit dough are available at any local grocery store and can make a cheap, convenient foundation for any number of delicious family meals. Comforting, flaky, oven-fresh biscuits can be a life saver for last-minute dinners, helping you achieve a home-cooked taste with little time or effort needed. You never know where a tube of dough will take you, from pizza to buffalo chicken rings!
Try satisfying your hungry family with any of these six biscuit-based meals.
1. Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuit Crust
Chicken pot pie is about as homestyle a meal as it gets, and you’ll be serving it up for dinner in no time using this dish from Allrecipes. This variation on a classic enlists the aid of a single tube of biscuit dough. The dish gets even simpler to make if you have leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken waiting to be used out of your fridge. This recipe takes an hour to complete and yields a pot pie of about 8 servings.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ⅔ cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- ⅔ cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (16.3-ounce) can refrigerated flaky-style biscuits
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
Head to Allrecipes for the full recipe.
2. Sausage and Mushroom Biscuit Calzones
Biscuit calzones make a great savory appetizer for any type of gathering, festivity, or simple family mealtime. They take just 30 minutes to make and require two tubes of store-bought biscuit batter. Hearty sausage combines with mushroom and creamy cheeses to create an irresistible Italian-inspired dish that everyone will love. This recipe from Food.com takes 30 minutes to complete and yields 8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, ground
- 1 cup portabello mushroom, diced
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 (10-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits, 16 in total
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
Head to Food.com for the full recipe.
3. Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
Biscuits aren’t just for dinner — it can be just as satisfying to wake up to a hearty meal of biscuits and gravy with all your favorite ingredients combined into a quick and delicious casserole. This dish is the perfect choice for a group of hungry guests or family members in the morning. This recipe from Just A Pinch takes 45 minutes to complete and yields 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 (10-ounce) tube of buttermilk biscuit dough
- 6 eggs
- 1 packaged powdered gravy pouch
- 1 pound sausage, any flavor
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Head to Just A Pinch for the full recipe.
4. Biscuit Pizza Bake
Enjoy the best flavors of pizza in casserole form with this easy-to-assemble baked dish. It combines ground beef (or turkey for a leaner variation), pizza sauce, pepper, onion, mushroom, pepperoni, and cheese, with a flaky golden biscuit at the bottom serving as your crust. This recipe from Taste of Home takes 40 minutes to complete and yields 6 to 8 servings. A hearty dish like this will keep the family happy for hours!
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 tubes (12 ounces each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 package (3½ ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Head to Taste of Home for the full recipe.
5. Garlic Parmesan Knots
Garlic and parmesan are a match made in heaven, especially when combined with the buttery, flaky taste of oven-fresh biscuits. These soft, mouthwatering garlic knots are the perfect addition to a pasta dinner, though you may want to keep a toothbrush on hand to ward off the inevitable garlic breath. Simply throw these in the oven, heat up a batch of spaghetti, and serve! This recipe from Damn Delicious takes 30 minutes to complete and yields 6 servings.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Head to Damn Delicious for the full recipe.
6. Buffalo Chicken Crescent Ring
If you enjoy Buffalo chicken and simple cooking, then this is the recipe for you. While we all know there are innumerable ways to enjoy the taste of Buffalo chicken — wings, dips, and the like — this biscuit-crusted ring is one of the simplest and most rewarding of them all. The dish wraps up tender, zesty Buffalo chicken along with cream cheese, ranch, and onions inside those flaky and buttery dinner rolls we all love. This recipe from Tablespoon takes 30 minutes to complete and yields 8 servings.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- ½ cup onions, finely diced
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce
- 2 (6-ounce) packets cooked chicken, very finely diced
- 2 tubes crescent rolls
- ½ cup ranch dressing (for dipping), optional
- ¼ cup scallions, cilantro, or fresh herbs, finely chopped
Head to Tablespoon for the full recipe.