How 8 Victoria’s Secret Supermodels Sculpt Their Killer Bodies
The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show — an annual display of models, makeup, and new looks from the VS catalog — is set to air this Monday, December 9. This year’s fashion-fueled frenzy is set to take place in London and will feature the eight statuesque Victoria’s Secret Angels showcasing the brand’s hottest styles.
The figures striding that runway year after year are certainly impressive, but they don’t come easily. These fit and toned physiques take a great deal of commitment on the part of the models, and while we can’t all devote ourselves full-time to shaping up that way, we can take tips from the Angels themselves on how to use our limited time effectively.
Read on to learn how you, too, can achieve and maintain a runway-worthy body.
Lindsay Ellingson: Yoga Flow Workout
“I do yoga all of the time,” VS Angel Lindsay Ellingson tells Vogue. “I go to an amazing studio called Yoga216 in New York. It’s hot yoga and so it really gets you in shape.”
Ellingson frequently trains with Yoga216 founder Nicole Katz to achieve her runway-perfect figure, and Self offers a great primer on the duo’s typical yoga sequence. The workout begins with an ab-tightening Plank, followed by a Three-Legged Dog pose. The Three-Legged Dog pose helps condition the arms and lengthen leg muscles, combining an effective toning move with a satisfying stretch. You’ll finish with Mountain Pose, tightening the quads for ultra-strong legs — just what every runway model needs! Check out the full sequence on Self.
Lily Aldridge: Ballet Beautiful Workout
Ballet Beautiful, a popular exercise method developed by ballerina and fitness expert Mary Helen Bowers, has gained traction among the supermodels and celebrities alike for its ability to sculpt toned, lean physiques. The Ballet Beautiful method blends the grace and athleticism of classical ballet with targeted stretching and exercise, making it ideal for women strutting the runways.
Supermodel Lily Aldridge swears by her Ballet Beautiful workout year-round, but she begins amping up the routine once showtime approaches, reports Vogue. To shape her celebrated figure during crunch time, Aldridge hits the gym for six workout sessions per week.
You can try a 15-Minute Full-Body Ballet Beautiful Workout, guided by Mary Helen Bowers herself, through BeFIT on Youtube. If you’re looking for a more targeted Ballet Beautiful approach, try Bowers’s Targeted Leg, Butt, and Thigh Workout. For an even wider selection of individual Ballet Beautiful moves, check out the 7 exercises Bowers shared with Cosmopolitan.
If you’re looking for greater variation in your workout, you can try targeting different parts of your body with these model-worthy moves.
- The Archer’s Plank from Glamour is a great multipurpose move, working the abs, back, arms, chest, and shoulders. Begin in a raised push-up position with your feet more than shoulder-width apart. Next, lift your right arm off the floor and straight up toward the ceiling, bending it at the elbow. Rotate your torso as you do so. Hold, then lower right hand back to starting position and repeat on opposite side. Complete 12-15 reps on each side.
- Get abs, obliques, butt, and legs like Behati Prinsloo’s (pictured above) with Self’s Runway March move. Begin in a lunge position with your left leg forward and your right leg back, bent at the knee. Keeping your left foot flat, stand up and bring your right knee forward to above hip level (you’ll be in a mid-marching stance). As you do so, swing left arm in front, elbow bent 90 degrees, and swing right arm down. Return to start position and continue for 1 minute. Switch sides and repeat for another minute.
- Work your arms, abs, back, chest, and shoulders with Glamour’s Single-Arm Superman exercise. You’ll begin in a raised push-up position with your feet more than shoulder-width apart. Lift right arm and extend forward, keeping it at shoulder height. Immediately lower arm and repeat on opposite side. Complete 12-15 reps on each side.
Alessandra Ambrosio and Candace Swanepoel: Butt Toning and Lifting
“I like to feel really strong: To have a good bum and strong legs on the catwalk, so I really focus on that,” Candace Swanepoel explains to Vogue. Although the Angel models bare (almost) all on the runway, glutes and legs are two particularly critical areas to work in the weeks leading up to the show. Alessandra Ambrosio also notes the importance of a solid gluteal workout, telling Vogue that her own lower-body physique is the result of the Brazil Butt Lift technique.
Try taking a page from Ambrosio’s book with this 5-Minute Butt Lifting Workout, designed by Brazil Butt Lift creator Leandro Carvalho and shared with Fitness Magazine. The workout involves 5 glute-toning moves, each performed for 1 minute — and none of which require gym equipment. You’ll begin with a graceful plié squat and follow it up with several lunge-based exercises, working your upper legs along with your butt. Finish off with a tough all-over conditioning move, the Brazilian Butt Lift Squat With Kick Back.
Adriana Lima: Boxing
Boxing is a noted favorite among Victoria’s Secret Angels: Lindsay Ellingson, Doutzen Kroes, Josephine Skriver, Joan Smalls, Sigrid Aren, Adriana Lima, and Elsa Hosk all point to boxing as one of the most rewarding and effective cardio-conditioning combination workouts, reports Vogue.
Adriana Lima gives us an up-close and personal look at her own boxing regimen in her Victoria’s Secret “Train Like An Angel” session with trainer Michael Olajide, Jr. on Youtube. The 30-minute upper body and core routine kicks off with an active combination of hook and straight-arm punches (be sure to turn your shoulders into each punch to work the core!). Next, you’ll do an extended jump rope routine for cardio, with several variations thrown in to work both the upper and lower body, along with your core.
For more Victoria’s Secret workout tips from Michael Olajide, Jr., check out his interview with Teen Vogue.
More from Life Cheat Sheet:
- If 14 Seasonal Sips Were Candies: How Much Sugar Are You Drinking?
- Up Your Workout: Kate Upton’s Diet and Fitness Secrets
- 5 Ways to Eat Heart-Healthy Chia Seeds
Like Life Cheat Sheet on Facebook!