Terrific Tater Tot Recipes That You’ll Love
Tater tots are so much more than a kid-friendly side dish. Perfectly light and fluffy on the inside and satisfyingly crunchy on the outside, tots have too much fantastic flavor to simply be pushed to the side of your plate. We think they’re worthy enough to take center stage in breakfast and dinner entrées, as well as appetizers. Interestingly, Business Insider notes that tater tots have emerged as a trendy alternative to french fries and have begun to make their way to the bar scene. They’ve also caught the eye of home cooks, chefs, and food bloggers who have found many tasty ways to put tater tots to good use. Don’t just take our word for it, though. Experience their deliciousness for yourself by preparing these six tater tot recipes.
1. SuperSonic Breakfast Burrito
If you have never before experienced the joy that is a SuperSonic breakfast burrito, The Pioneer Woman’s recipe is a must-make. And if you have tasted this burrito from Sonic, the drive-in restaurant that inspired this recipe, we know we don’t need to convince you to make it — you’re probably already in the kitchen setting out your cooking supplies! Eggs, cheese, sausage, veggies, and tater tots are piled on a flour tortilla, creating a hearty morning meal. The recipe yields 8 servings.
- 50 whole frozen tater tots
- 8 whole flour tortillas, fajita size
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup jarred jalapeño slices
- 3 whole Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Salsa, on the side
- 1 tablespoon butter
Head to The Pioneer Woman for the full recipe.
2. Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
Your tastebuds won’t be able to resist Chew Out Loud’s recipe for a cheesy tater tot breakfast bake. The recipe can be prepped the night before, making it a great dish to serve overnight guests. Both kids and adults will love this breakfast or brunch creation that fits in a single 9-by-13 dish.
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage, no casings
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 extra large eggs or 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of table salt (⅛ teaspoon)
- 2 pounds frozen tater tots
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley for garnish
Head to Chew Out Loud for the full recipe.
3. Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip
Delicious dipping awaits you with Averie Cooks’ recipe. Consisting of tater tots, sour cream, cheese, seasonings, and the filling of your choosing, such as meatballs, chicken, tofu, or bacon, this palate-pleasing appetizer will be the life of any party. We suggest serving this dip with The Kitchn’s homemade crackers.
- 3 cups tater tots, thawed and halved or roughly chopped
- 1 cup meatless meatballs, crumbled (or substitute with pre-cooked shredded chicken, chicken nuggets, tofu, tempeh, bacon, or bacon bits)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, optional and to taste
Head to Averie Cooks for the full recipe.
4. Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tot Bombs
Damn Delicious delivers a dish that works well as an appetizer or as a breakfast or brunch side dish. The recipe is quite simple; wrap your tater tots and a cheese square in a piece of bacon, dredge each in brown sugar, and bake. The end result is a tater tot that is salty, crispy, and subtly sweet. Is your mouth watering yet?
- 2 cups frozen tater tots, at room temperature
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ¼-inch squares
- 4 slices bacon, quartered
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Head to Damn Delicious for the full recipe.
5. Tater Tot Pizza Casserole
Your family won’t be able to get enough of Betty Crocker’s recipe for tater tot pizza casserole. Ground beef, onion, and mushroom soup create a creamy filling, while pepperoni, pizza sauce, cheese, and peppers give this dish its pizza-like flavors. Once you add your tater tots to the top, your dish is ready to bake. The recipe yields 6 servings.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can pizza sauce
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen potato nuggets (about 3½ cups)
Head to Betty Crocker for the full recipe.
6. Tater Tot Casserole
Great for potlucks, parties, and weeknight dinners, Cooking Channel’s recipe for tater tot casserole is a combination of cream of mushroom soup, corn, green beans, beef, and a crisp, crunchy topping. In addition to its great flavor, this dish is also extraordinarily easy to prepare; 10 minutes of prep time is all it takes to get this casserole in the oven. The recipe yields 8 servings.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed (8 ounces)
- 1¾ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (8 ounces)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound frozen shredded potato nuggets
Head to Cooking Channel for the full recipe.