Up Your Workout: Kate Upton’s Diet and Fitness Secrets
Kate Upton knows how to rock a swimsuit. This model and actress embraces her curves and strives to set a good example for others. Upton’s goal? To get others to embrace their curves, too, says trainer Justin Gelband to Shape. “Since the first day I met her, she wanted to come in and change the industry by saying curves are sexy,” Gelband says. “She’s such a great role model for all the young girls out there.”
The key to Upton’s amazing body? It’s nothing too complicated. All it takes is some discipline, regular exercise and a healthy diet. If you’re ready to follow in Upton’s footsteps, here’s how you can tone up and look your very best.
Upton is a believer in Gelband’s method called ModelFIT, which is customized based on people’s individual needs. Gelband has Upton do a mix of circuit training workouts, which he switches up daily. An example routine, he tells Shape, consists of stretching exercises that incorporate elastic bands to work the back, chest and legs, followed by Pilates, yoga, or kickboxing with work on a BOSU ball and core board. Upton’s workout is then topped off with step-ups and moves on a step ladder. The circuits include four to five bootcamp-style sets of eight to 10 exercises, with a 30-second rest period in between each move. The goal is to mix up each set so you’re working multiple areas of the body.
“Kate is one in a million! She always puts in a whole-hearted effort to her workouts and is always ready to work,” Gelband says to Shape. “She would put in seven days a week if I let her! She knows how to get it done and is so humble, sweet yet tough, and educated at the same time.”
Trainer David Kirsch has also worked with Upton, and uses stair running, pull-ups and ab workouts to whip her into shape. Rather than have her do thousands of sit-ups, Kirsch came up with a plan designed to give her the best abs in Hollywood — and it shows — while maintaining her killer curves. “She’s got curves. There was no way I was going to ‘uncurve’ her. That was never my objective. I didn’t do a lot of weights with her. Instead we did a lot of floor movements and working out with resistance bands. At the end of the day, the objective was not to look like a runway model, but tighten up what she’s got to look as amazing as she can,” Kirsch tells The Cut.
Ready to get your own set of amazing abs? Do Kirsch’s plan twice a day, three days a week, in addition to 40 minutes of cardio, for a washboard stomach, per Glamour.
- Spider-Man Plank: Start in push-up position with your hands directly below your shoulders. Pull your right knee out to the side, hovering toward the right elbow. Return to the start and repeat on the opposite side. Do 15 reps per side.
- Leg Scissors: Sitting on the floor, prop yourself up on your forearms, pull your belly toward your spine, and extend your legs at a 45-degree angle. Scissor your legs (right over left, then left over right) as you slowly lower them toward the floor. Continue lifting and lowering for 30 seconds.
- Superman: Lie facedown with your legs extended and your hands behind your head. Pull your belly button in and slowly lift your chest and legs off the floor. Hold for five counts, lower and repeat. Do 10 reps, holding the last rep as long as you can.
- Cross-Knee Plank: From the push-up position, bend and lift your left knee, bringing it across your body toward your right elbow. Return to the start and repeat, bringing your right knee toward your left elbow. Do 15 reps per side.
- Plank With Torso Rotation: Start in a push-up, with a three-pound dumbbell (or full water bottle) in your right hand. Lift your right hand and hug it across your chest. Raise your arm up toward the ceiling, and then return to start. Do 15 reps, switch sides, and repeat.
Think of your diet as a way to fuel your body, Kirsch recommends. “Nutrition is the fuel that empowers your workouts,” he tells Style Bistro. An ideal meal program consists of eating five meals a day every three hours, with a focus on lean proteins, vegetables, and carrots, Kirsch says. Carbs should be eaten earlier in the day, rather than late at night.
To keep it simple, Kirsch tells CNN to follow his ABCs: no alcohol, bread, or processed carbs. It’s essentially a gluten-free diet. One of its many benefits? Kirsch tells Elle it can significantly improve your mood. It takes discipline to follow Upton’s diet, but it isn’t unattainable. A typical breakfast for her is egg whites and spinach, followed by greens and proteins like fish or chicken. Kirsch says a glass or two of wine won’t wreck your diet, but a night of binge drinking certainly will!
Gelband is a fan of using the Blood Type Diet to determine what you should be eating. “Eat right for your type,” Gelband advises Shape. “Your blood type has a lot to do with the way your body digests, processes, and metabolizes food. The method is 90 percent accurate.”
Upton has developed a healthy attitude toward exercising and eating healthy, because it ensures she is always photo shoot ready. “I always try and work out and eat healthy throughout my life so I don’t have to do anything drastic before shoots,” she tells The Cut. “My schedule just doesn’t allow it. I never know where I’m coming from, or what’s happening, or how long the plane ride will be.”
Upton has realistic and inspiring goals when it comes to her body. She wants to stay fit, healthy, and true to her body type. By maintaining her curves, she’s setting an example for other women everywhere. “Anywhere in life, for girls there’s pressure to keep your weight and to keep yourself feeling and looking good. So, for me to do that in the public eye is definitely a lot, but I have to have the right outlook on it,” she tells The Cut.
More From Wall St. Cheat Sheet:
- Breast Cancer and 4 Other Health Issues Linked to Drinking Soda
- July 4th on a Plate: 7 Dishes for a Memorable Menu
- 7 Recipes to Make for All-American Apple Pie-Flavored Treats
Want more great content like this? Sign up here to receive the best of Cheat Sheet delivered daily. No spam; just tailored content straight to your inbox.,