10 Stocks You Need To Know in John Paulson’s Portfolio
We previously reviewed John Paulson’s public equity portfolio at year-end 2010 3 previous articles: Legendary Investor John Paulson Likes These Stocks, 10 More Top Stocks in John Paulson’s Portfolio, and A $27 Billion Fund Is Holding These 10 Stocks In Their Portfolio. This is the fourth edition in this special 10-part series. To review his performance, let’s check in with the first post in this series:
John Paulson’s 13F filing for the quarter ending December 31st, 2010 values his fund’s common equity holdings at $27,693,669,000. As of March 15, 2011, this same portfolio is woth $27,459,509,704, a decline of 0.85% as compared to the S&P 500′s gain of 1.93%. Paulson has underperformed the market by about 2%.
- Del Monte Foods Co (NYSE:DLM): Shares were acquired recently and the stock is no longer public. Del Monte Foods Company produces, distributes, and markets branded and private label food and pet products for the United States retail market. The Company’s products are sold nationwide, in all channels serving retail markets, as well as to the US military, certain export markets, the foodservice industry, and other food processors.
- Dex One Corp. (NYSE:DEXO): Shares are trading at $5.29 per share. Dex One Corporation offers business advertising services. The Company publishes yellow and white pages telephone directories, operates a yellow pages Internet website, offers mobile and voice search services, offers pay-per-click advertising services, and operates an Internet business search engine.
- Emergency Medical Services (NYSE:EMS): Shares are trading at $63.56 per share. Emergency Medical Services Corporation operates ambulances and offers outsourced emergency department staffing. The Company contracts with communities, government agencies, healthcare facilities, and insurers.
- Felcor Lodging Trust Inc. (NYSE:FCH): Shares are trading at $5.98 per share. FelCor Lodging Trust Inc. is a real estate investment trust (“REIT”) focusing on upscale and full service hotels. The Company owns interests in hotels throughout the United States and Canada.
- First Horizon National Corp. (NYSE:FHN): Shares are trading $11.14 per share. First Horizon National Corporation, through its subsidiaries, provides a range of financial services. The Company offers a variety of commercial banking services and also conducts mortgage banking, capital markets, and transaction processing.
- Genzyme Corp. (NASDAQ:GENZ): Shares are trading at $76.01 per share. Genzyme Corporation is a global biotechnology company that develops products for people with serious diseases. The Company focuses on developing therapeutics for rare disorders, renal diseases, orthopaedics, cancer, transplant and immune disease, and diagnostic and predictive testing. Genzyme also provides diagnostic products and services.
- GenOn Energy Inc. (NYSE:GEN): Shares are trading at $3.82 per share. GenOn Energy, Inc. is an independent power producer that generates wholesale electricity. The Company sells electricity to investor-owned utilities, municipalities, cooperatives, and other companies that serve end users or purchase power at wholesale for resale.
- Gold Fields Ltd. (NYSE:GFI): Shares are trading at $17.33 per share. Gold Fields Limited produces precious metals. The Company has mines in South Africa, Ghana, and Australia, as well as a partnership in Finland. Gold Fields has precious metals programs in Africa, Australasia, Europe, North America, and South America.
- Hartford Financial Services Group (NYSE:HIG): Shares are trading at $27.07 per share. The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. provides a range of insurance products. The Company’s products include property and casualty insurance, annuities, life insurance, investment services, and group insurance. Hartford Financial operates around the world.
- Howard Hughes Corp. (NYSE:HHC): Shares are trading at $69.01 per share. Howard Hughes Corporation develops real estate. The Company develops master planned communities, shopping malls, and mixed-use developments throughout the United States.